Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

caulking

I would like to know how often do you redo the caulking on your fifth wheel or TT. I have a major humidity problem on mine. The front cap and both front side are wet. We have found in the right front wardrobe just before leaving for holidays in July a swell so i recaulked both front side of the unit and now the whole front is totaly wet. Humidity percentage was measured this morning with a humidity meter at 60% and more. Not a very happy camper right now. Cost for repair will run between 6000.00$ to 10,000.00$ This is a 4 year old unit.
Flagstaff 8524 rls 2009.
micalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #2

I tend to stay in warmer, drier climates. I check my caulking joints every month or so because they dry out and crack. I even use the recommended stuff from our local RV dealer. I have some dark (black spots) areas on the outside caulking seams. I scrape it off when I find it, and recaulk the area. Don't know if it is mold, or just dirt from wind/dust storms. With my own maintenance schedule, I still have dry interior after 7 years.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Never Leak RV Roofing

If you use a dull putty knife take off all dicor self leveling caulking front/rear around all vents then clean with acetone then install a 4" seam tape(tape-kote) then cover seam tape with Safe-T-Plex Acrylic 20 year rv roof coating you will never have to inspect your seams again. The while your at it clean prime and coat the rest of the roof with the Safe-T-Plex Acrylic Elastomeric RV Roof Coating 92% reflective, flexable, self cleaning, stands up to the Florida heat.
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote