Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Cedar Creek Delamination

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and joined to gain some insight into some issues I am having with my first RV. I purchased a used 2011 Cedar Creek 36RE last spring. I have noticed that there is a significant area of delamination on the starboard side of the trailer. This extends from the front of the door to the back of the master bedroom window. There are multiple studs involved and the separation runs from the top to bottom of the studs. I can tell you with 100% certainty this is not a result of water infiltration. When I access the studs from the interior of the RV it feels as if the adhesive was starting to skin over when the panels were affixed during manufacturing. I concluded this because the beads of adhesive are not spread out like one would see when panel is compressed into a bead of adhesive. Secondly, there is no residual adhesive on the luan backing of the fiberglass panel.

Obviously, this is a significant problem that is causing me some anxiety. However, I am a competent carpenter and mechanic and can repair this myself. I unfortunately understand as the second owner there is no warranty. To get to my question now, what causes such profuse delamination in the absence of water infiltration? Does anyone know exactly what brand and type of adhesive FR uses at the factory to adhere these panels? I will be repairing this from the inside of the trailer by opening all the walls, removing the old beads of adhesive then applying new adhesive.

On a side note, a couple years ago I had custom cargo trailer built by a large company. I am doing some more customization on it and their technical staff has been very helpful guiding me to the 3M adhesives they use. That information is very helpful when dealing with the aluminum panels that they utilize. Does anyone know if FR will offer the same type of guidance? Thanks for your insight!
MobileGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #2

I can’t help you but here’s a link to a video on how Cedar Creeks are built. At approximately the 6:20 mark in the video the CC hung wall sidewall construction is explained. I hope this helps you somewhat.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #3

Hi Bob,

Thank you for sharing this link. I was trying to figure out the exact adhesive that is used during construction and it was stated during the video, Silaprene. This lead me to the Royal Adhesives website Royal Adhesives & Sealants and now I will be able to get guidance from that company on which Silaprene products to use on this repair. I plan on starting this project October 5th, and have allocated the entire week to the project. I will be taking pictures and recording video to share on YouTube. Thanks again for providing me with the video!
MobileGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 11:09 AM   #4
New Jammer

Exposing poor craftsmanship hung wall construction

The majority of my 2018 Silverback 29RL rear wall is separated from the studs. Both the interior and exterior skins are floating except where affixed on the edges. The problem is exacerbated by the location of the TV mount dead center on the wall with little support beyond one stud. Poking and prodding and searching the internet suggests that removing the cabinets and interior skin to access the studs seems the best way to clean the studs and properly apply fresh Siloprene glue. Building a crib and using lumber and wedges seems to be the best approach to compressing and correcting a failed factory assembly. Has anyone successfully used this method with success? I have owned a Palomino and windjammer by Forest river with few problems. This Cedar Creek seems to prove the myth of Amish craftsmanship and poor quality control at Forest River.
mikewindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 11:33 AM   #5

Another consideration...

FWIW, Perhaps the delamination is a result of condensation causd by high humidity over a period of years.
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 11:47 AM   #6
New Jammer

No moisture or evidence of moisture. Poor workmanship and no quality control.
mikewindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, delamination