Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

Ceiling curtain track mounting help

I need to mount a curtain track on the ceiling to hang a sound absorbing drape (weighs 6 LBS).

I have purchased an 8 FT long one piece aluminum curtain track that mounts directly to the ceiling by drilling holes through the "bottom of the U channel" at whatever spacing I need. There is a seam where two ceiling panels come together which I'm assuming is where a ceiling truss is, and Forest River confirmed that they are every 16". Unfortunately this ceiling seam/truss is NOT where I need to hang the sound absorbing curtain-(6 LBS total), so I will need to mount the curtain track about 4" from the ceiling truss, mounting into just the 1/4" Luan ceiling paneling.
The drape will be "folded" and "strapped" to the wall with the bottom edge of the folded-up drape resting on the dinette back-rest to take the weight off the ceiling while traveling.
Since I am mounting into the Luan ceiling only (about 4" away from a truss) - I'm thinking of using very small toggle bolts (as many as necessary to distribute the weight) but am looking for suggestions on some other fastener that doesn't require as big of hole (3/8") as the toggle bolt or possibly supports the weight better

Thanks!
Coloradokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
Always Learning

If It were me, I'd consider mounting boards into the trusses and then mount the U-channel to that.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

Please open my drawing (PDF) attached. Is this something like what you are suggesting?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf curtain track mount.PDF (43.9 KB, 221 views)
Old 02-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #4

Could you mount a tension curtain rod?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

We've used these along with some double sided outside tape at the ends to mount curtains. Of course, your curtains might not work with these.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #5

The curtain rod needs to extend the full 7 FT width of the trailer. I hesitated in considering a tension rod because I did not think that at 7 FT, requiring a good bit of tension, especially with a 6 LB curtain, that the wall to ceiling joints would be strong enough over the long term (possibly bowing out the side walls).
Maybe I could make some vertical support "rods", where the horizontal curtain rod would be supported by the vertical "rods" hugging each wall (held to the walls with just a few screws to keep them vertical.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #6

Use 3m auto mounting double sided tape and pop rivets. Mounted several ceiling curtains over the years.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:55 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradokev View Post
Please open my drawing (PDF) attached. Is this something like what you are suggesting?
I was more thinking the wood would span across 2 trusses. But this may work.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #8

If the curtain is moderately light and the kids won't be swinging on it, just use plastic anchors. Use the ones that require a 3/16" hole and accept a #6 sheet metal screw and you will be fine. I have used them in several places (towel bar, sconce lights that had been pulled loose) and they have been very secure.

There are two flavors of the anchors: with and without a flange on the surface. You will get a slightly more attractive result with the flangeless ones but they take a little more care while installing.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #9

Curtain track #52124-8 - one piece 8Ft long aluminum "U" channel about 1" wide. Weighs less than 2 LBS. Sound absorbing (snoring) drape weighs 6 LBS. Grand kids won't be in that bed so no one pulling on it.
Anchors will be pushed into holes drilled in ceiling panel, track going over the top of the anchors, screw going through the bottom inside of the "U" (through a 1/4" wide slot) so fasteners will not show. Screw heads will be difficult top see.

Maybe the plastic anchors - with the "wings" that spread out as you tighten

My main concern it that the (drape) weight will be pulling vertically on a vertically installed anchor on the 1/8" thick plywood ceiling, where your applications (on walls) the weight is pulling downward on the horizontally installed anchor
Old 02-06-2021, 07:32 PM   #10

My curtain is probably is not as heavy but I used extra strong double sided tape and doubled the number of screws. Like you I retract the curtain when underway. Has not come loose at all and it is not at a truss.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #11

Sounds good, very similar to firemedicmark's comment.
What type of screw? Coarse deep threads like this;

I am wondering if the ceiling panels are made of "pressboard" or "hardboard" and not Luan plywood. I ask because I think a screw would hold better in pressboard or hardboard and pull-out easier out of the softer/less dense Luan plywood.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #12

would this "toggle" style be better than a screw?
Old 02-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #13

Along with the the mounting tape, I just used a common flat head wood screw. The track came with predrilled holes about every 6 inches but I drilled and extra hole in between each hole and counter sunk them all so I could use the flat head screws. Which is what I had on hand. I think they are #6 X 1/2" stainless steel.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Those may not work if you get into insulation between ceiling and roof.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #15

Quote:
I think so, come in various sizes. The 1/8 '' is perfect for all the luan that you encounter. Dont know about tensile load, but in shear, hard to beat.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I think so, come in various sizes. The 1/8 '' is perfect for all the luan that you encounter. Dont know about tensile load, but in shear, hard to beat.
I am not so sure they will work because those wings need to be folded up and inserted into the space between the ceiling and roof. Another possible problem is insulation in that area will not allow the wings to lay back down.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #17

How did the installation go? I am wanting to do the same thing except using a flexible track, and I am curious about the thickness of the ceiling in my EVO; I don't want to put any screws through the roof!
TraderPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #18

Roof construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderPat View Post
How did the installation go? I am wanting to do the same thing except using a flexible track, and I am curious about the thickness of the ceiling in my EVO; I don't want to put any screws through the roof!
Pat, Remove the inside trim from one of the skylights. There's no gasketing or weather-sealing involved. Just unscrew the screws (you probably will need a Robertson screwdriver) and it will come free. You will then be able to see the roof construction. If yours is a mebrane ("rubber sheet") roof, you may want to remove a staple from one of the triangular flaps for better visibility.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount