Stationary Bat Wing TV Antenna leaking at Stem/Head Connection
A while back our tv antenna quit. It was one of those low stationary bat wing antennas that doesn't raise or rotate. Since I never was happy with the reception I decided to replace it with a different unit, so I ordered a Winegard Razar Z1 to replace it with. More about that later.
Well this Saturday (6/9/18) I decided to get on the roof and make the replacement. The replacement went well, but there was a surprise! When I removed the old antenna I noticed some water stains on the roof inside the base area where there should have been nothing. The lap sealant and butyl tape around the old antenna was prefect and no signs of any place there should have been a leak. Once I got the replacement done I did a little investigating, and found the culprit. It was the joint between the base and head. It's held together by two ¼" bolts and I should have suspected something when I saw that the bolts were rusted.
Anyway since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's a few thousand.
The joint between the head and base.
The bottom of the base.
Closeup of the rusted bolts.