Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Cleaning Awning

Spent some time last week cleaning the awning, it was cumbersome. The problem is that when the awning is rolled up, any dirt on the top rolls under and gets on the underside. Was wondering how others clean their awning. One camper used 'Totally Awesome', a product sold in the dollar Store. I used Magic Extreme Erasing Pad for the tough parts, but, even this didn't remove all of the marks. I cleaned the top 2' at a time and rolled it up as I went along. Step ladder came in handy.
John
2008 WJ, TV 2008 Silverado 5.3
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
We also use "Awesome" and a scrub brush with a handle. Ours came out a "blinding white". Not one spot left on the fabric. Awesome is well worth the dollar it costs .

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

I've been using Tilex mold and mildew cleaner from walmart for years. Just let the awning out and spray the under side good and roll back up for 15-20 minutes. Let back out and rinse off top and bottom good. Some times there are some spots I have to go back and use a little awesome on. I don't know if it's possible to always get it back to new looking condition.
Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

Simple Green, an extendable RV brush from Walmart and 8' step ladder do it for me.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #5

I have read everybodies prior posts on the topic here and previous postings, and since the type and cause of staining is so varible, based on the individual situations, there doesn't seem to be the "miracle cure all" out there. I can tell you that from my personal expierence, and observation with my awning, nothing will clean certain spots (area) on the awning and here is why. I've used combinations and strengths of; bleach infused white vinegar, water, LA Awesome @various strengths, 409, simple green@various strengths, CLR and so on. Magic eraser tried, scrub brush, leave rolled up for 30, 40min., 5 hrs, etc.

My observation and conclusions are; Dometic makes a mistake in their pattern colors. By that, I mean they should put a color band in the first two feet where it attaches to the RV, NOT white. That is because as the OP said, the dirt, debris, whatever, is likely to get trapped, or exposed to the elements, lay there for extended periods, which turns out to be the most when in the rolled up position.

By closer examination, the staining is embedded in and or beneath the vinyl, because the staining pattern is in the shape of the weave, telling me it permeated, followed the weave between the top and bottom vinyl layers. So, dometic should use colored fabric to help hide the staining issue for those awnings that don't have a hard case cover. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1956 View Post
I've been using Tilex mold and mildew cleaner from walmart for years. Just let the awning out and spray the under side good and roll back up for 15-20 minutes. Let back out and rinse off top and bottom good. Some times there are some spots I have to go back and use a little awesome on. I don't know if it's possible to always get it back to new looking condition.
X 2 also does not matter if you have the metal protection tubing covering the awning it still will get water and mildew in side. Only real thing it does is protect from sun. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #7

I spent 2 hours last night with simple green and a brush....TWICE and I still have marks on our 3 month old awning....We have a Solera awning thats shaded dark to light on the top side, but the bottom is pure white.....I don't have any mold or mildew problems, its more from bugs and stuff that was on the awning when it got rolled up.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #8

what is this awesome product you mention.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
If there is a Dollar Store near you look where the cleaners are located and you will find awesome. It will be a $. If you look on Amazon you will find it for about $6.

It does work, I have used it.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #10

"does not matter if you have the metal protection tubing covering the awning it still will get water and mildew in side"

How in the world does the water travel all through the rolled up fabric, like it has been submerged? It has rained so much down here this summer there has been absolutely no point in attempting to clean it. Open it up and let it dry and after that days rain it is full of water again. I will bet there is about three gallons of water coming out of that thing when I open it up. The metal roller is full. What a mess.The cover does nothing to help the water logging. That's for sure.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #11

Try this.

http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Forget-105.../dp/B0019KSUG6

Silverado2500HD
Old 09-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #12

Clorox Clean-up. I buy it by the gallon and use a pump sprayer to apply. Spray both sides, roll up and let sit 10-15 minutes then rinse with the hose. Do the same for the slide toppers.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #13

I finally gave up on trying the witches brew of cleaners....well accept for Simply Green.

I went out and bought the small portable Ryobi pressure washer at Home Depot and since I get a military discount it took 10% off.

No matter what sacred brew you use...nothing takes off sap...and we have pines here and unless I want to sit with a small brush and some goof off or mineral spirits...the sap is there.

Until I used the pressure washer...blasts the sap right off as well as the mildew...algae..etc. I might pretreat the are with a mild bleach or Simply Green if it is real tough old stains but no more scrubbing with a long brush etc.

Has just enough PSI to do the job without worrying about ripping sealant out and it is small enough to carry on the roof.

Only question...is it built well enough to last several seasons of use.

For what I spent on multiple cleaners from both Walmart and Camping WOrld I could have bought this up front.

A small pressure washer and something like the Little Giant Ladder (to me) is an Rvers best friends....just my opinion.

Not that I carry both everywhere either. Just need it before it gets winterized and then in spring again when we open it up.

On a La Amazing note...I dont like it...I know I am in the minority but here,s why. My Cedar Creek is 10 years old and while it is in great shape the Gel Coat was slightly oxidized. If the La Amazing got on the Gel Coat anywhere it left stains or marks. These would not buff out...had to use 2000 grit and then polish to get the marks out. Even though the La Amazing was diluted if it got on the Gelcoat...it was a problem.

I read where people use it on Gel Coat...not sure why you would use any degreaser on Gel Coat actually. Might look good at first but if you look at the finish from a side angle I can see the streaks. Probably not something you would see with fresh gel but on oxidized areas....woof. So no more La Amazing...just Simply Green and only then on the awnings.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
"does not matter if you have the metal protection tubing covering the awning it still will get water and mildew in side"

How in the world does the water travel all through the rolled up fabric, like it has been submerged? It has rained so much down here this summer there has been absolutely no point in attempting to clean it. Open it up and let it dry and after that days rain it is full of water again. I will bet there is about three gallons of water coming out of that thing when I open it up. The metal roller is full. What a mess.The cover does nothing to help the water logging. That's for sure.
I, too, have always wondered how the awning fills with water when it is rolled up tight. My previous TT with a 21' Dometic Sunchaser awning would hold tons of water -- I had to open it before I put anything out to keep everything from getting soaked. Now that I have a Windjammer with the Diamond package, I have the included metal protector that covers the awnings when they are closed. These new awnings hold no water at all. I assumed it was due to the metal protectors, but it appears not, since others seem to have the water problem even though they have the metal protectors.

Why do my awnings not hold water now?

Bruce
Old 09-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2 also does not matter if you have the metal protection tubing covering the awning it still will get water and mildew in side. Only real thing it does is protect from sun. Later RJD
I believe the primary function of the corrugated metal cover is not waterproofing but rather abrasion protection from trees. I have lost an awning to a narrow site, expensive lesson.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I believe the primary function of the corrugated metal cover is not waterproofing but rather abrasion protection from trees. I have lost an awning to a narrow site, expensive lesson.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw them on display at my dealer a couple of years ago. I told my wife that I had to have that on our next awning because I was tired of getting small holes from trees in tight campgrounds. It just so happened that this feature was included on our new Windjammer.

Bruce
Old 09-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #17

Just cleaned mine the other day after about 6 months. I use a spray bottle with a little bleach and Dawn dish soap mixed with water. Open it up.....spray it underneath the awning and roll it up for about 30 minutes......open it up....use a long handle brush on the underside and rinse it off......came out nice and white where it was white and the colors came out great. Have always done this and saves a lot of work.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #18
geezer with gadgets

L. A. Totally Awesome from the Dollar Tree!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #19
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
In Ontario you can get "LA's Totally Awesome" in Dollar Tree stores. Don't know if they have any of those stores in New Brunswick.

Bulk LA’s Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner, 20 oz. at DollarTree.com

I've had luck with Hertel Plus (available from Home Hardware but you might have to order it) and a Magic Eraser.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #20

"Windjammer with the Diamond package, I have the included metal protector that covers the awnings when they are closed. These new awnings hold no water at all."

Mine has the Diamond Package with the metal cover. Guess you are just lucky or I am unlucky. In Florida it rains a lot so it is just impossible to keep it dry and clean. Of course everything mildews and rots done here. I have noticed that once wet and nasty the awning seems to not get any worse. I just clean it twice a year and ignore the looks from other campers who have spotless awnings. Guess I should change my user name to "Trailer Trash".

Tags
awning