Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
Kasual Kamper

Confused about what to use: Dicor? Proflex? Lexel? Something else?

We need to re-caulk the seam around the slide on our 21DS. The previous owner used silicone, which obviously didn't work. Someone I camp with suggested Dicor. I went and ordered it, but now I'm reading it's no good for vertical surfaces. I've done a forum search and opinions seem to be all over the map. "Use Proflex". "Use Lexel". "Dicor will do the job". "Dicor needs to be replaced after three years". I don't know who to believe any more. At the risk of opening another can of worms, can someone tell me what I should use for this application and WHY?

The other question I have is what should I use to remove what's there to start over? Mineral spirits? Turpentine? I don't want to mar the trailer finish or decals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_195721.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	209798  
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
Camper

There are 2 kinds of Dicor. Self leveling and non-self leveling. Self leveling is for roofs covered in a compatible material. Non-self leveling is intended for vertical surfaces.

My understanding is Forest River uses Geocel 2300MHRV at the factory. I called Geocel and spoke with customer support. They told me that Geocel 2300MHRV has all the same specs and performance stats as Proflex RV. They could not tell me that the chemical make up of each product is identical but the rep. said he would not be surprised if they were the exact same product. I have read that Geocle 2300MHRV is marketed to the industry and Proflex is marketed to the repair and consumer market.

If I was redoing that I would go with Proflex RV in clear, because of the color differences with the black molding and white surface. If it does not clean up well then I would use white.

Mineral spirits should do a good job cleaning off the silicone. I would cut out and scrape out as much of it as I could before trying to dissolve all of it with mineral spirits. Go easy with it though, you don't want to take off any decals or paint.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #3

I would scrape all that old stuff off and clean it thoroughly. Then seal with Lexel. It sticks to everything. Best dang sealant I've ever used. Everything I could seal with it on my TT has been done. No cracks, no shrinkage, turns a little off-clear after a while, but it's still very pliable. I also use it on my bass boat to seal wire holes, screws below the water line, LED nav lights I cut in to the rub rail. Been years of constant exposure to water and extreme elements and it's still holding up like day one.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
There are 2 kinds of Dicor. Self leveling and non-self leveling. Self leveling is for roofs covered in a compatible material. Non-self leveling is intended for vertical surfaces.
That where I got confused. Damn! I guess I'll just exchange the one I bought. Thanks everyone!
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:25 AM   #5

Keep the self leveling tube and check your roof. I'm sure with a 6 year old unit you have spots that could use a touch up.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #6
RiderBloke

Smile What sealant to use

JayArras, you will get several different ideas whenever you ask such a question because there are usually several different products on the market that are equally good. I use Lexel and Eternabond wherever I can; but I also got my hands on a German product called Dekaseal (by Dekalin) for sealing things that are screwed to the RV. Whatever you chose from the good advice given will work if you use it properly and check it on a regular basis.
[I have had the same problem with choosing outside cleaners but that’s another story.]
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
Dicor calls the non-self-leveling "non-sag." See
https://dicorproducts.com/product/epdm-lap-sealants/
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #8

I used Dicor non-sag on my solar panels and before I even had them mounted on the RV it had cracked all ready... so I'm done with Dicor!
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have to ask... is there an underlying issue at that seam? Looks like something is pulling away from the body side?

Nothing will seal it if its moving.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse