Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #1

Cost to Renew Roof Seals

What should I expect to pay for a professional strip and reseal of our travel trailer roof? We are located in mid Ohio.

We are going to farm out the stripping of old sealer on our roof as well as the application of new sealer. The trailer is a 2018 19.7 No Boundaries and a recent inspection shows all the original factory sealing deteriorated, and some patching that was done under warranty 2 years ago is also shot. The person who inspected it said it is a 2-3 day process as the new sealer has to set up after application. I am no longer able to safely do it myself.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #2

I haven't used them, but they get good reviews..

https://rvroofarmor.com/
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll give then a look.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:24 AM   #4
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
The person who inspected it said it is a 2-3 day process...
Would think if they are qualified to determine if the current material is deficient they would know how to upgrade it. Did the "inspector" give you a quote? If not, did the "inspector" recommend someone? If they work in that "business", they "should" know others (locals) in the field.
Centerline TS WDH
2004 Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Would think if they are qualified to determine if the current material is deficient they would know how to upgrade it. Did the "inspector" give you a quote? If not, did the "inspector" recommend someone? If they work in that "business", they "should" know others (locals) in the field.

I was asking a direct question on cost experience, no need for analysis I can handle that part.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
Site Team

A 3 year old trailer needs a completely new roof? That sounds a little suspicious to me.

Eternabond would probably be your best and cheapest option.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
Defender of America

Quote:
I was asking a direct question on cost experience, no need for analysis I can handle that part.
You specifically stated in your original post that you had a person inspect it. And that person was other than you; which I got from your post that you can't get up on the roof anymore because of safety.

It appears that one of us isn't reading the thread correctly. Best of luck in your endeavor.
Centerline TS WDH
2004 Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
You specifically stated in your original post that you had a person inspect it. And that person was other than you; which I got from your post that you can't get up on the roof anymore because of safety.

It appears that one of us isn't reading the thread correctly. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Tried to make it clear, question separate from background info. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll likely use a local independent.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
A 3 year old trailer needs a completely new roof? That sounds a little suspicious to me.

Eternabond would probably be your best and cheapest option.

It is suspicious...and just another sign the manufacturers try to meet a bare minimum on materials and workmanship. For those who think they can get more than a year or two out of the factory roof seals, I urge you to get inspected and take the needed actions.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #10

I agree with what was said above regarding EternaBond. My 2020 roof leaked around two of the vents this past spring. I put Eternabond around every seam, seal, and edge.....didn't have to strip off the mess they made with all the globs of lap seal. Hasn't leaked a drop since. The tape is expensive, but the roughly $200 I have invested, I would guess saved me a bunch.....and should last a long time. That stuff seems like good stuff!
Old 11-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #11
Site Team

I'm also curious what sealer are you talking about exactly that needs 2-3 days to "set up"?

Is this a sealer for the roof material itself or the caulk for the seams?

Do you have any pictures?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #12

Roof

If you are in Mid-Ohio, I would recommend Performance and Rv Collision Service, Lancaster, OH. I just got my 38 ft. 5th wheel back and I couldn’t be happier. It takes 2-3 days and the cost was $2200.
Cardinal5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:46 PM   #13

Just do the eternabond on all seams.As for the roof material it self doesn't need any done to it as manufacture recommend just washing it.as what it going to cost you $200.00 to 300.00 plus materials by private person rv shop will be double if not triple that price.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #14

Reseal Roof

Quote:
What should I expect to pay for a professional strip and reseal of our travel trailer roof? We are located in mid Ohio.

We are going to farm out the stripping of old sealer on our roof as well as the application of new sealer. The trailer is a 2018 19.7 No Boundaries and a recent inspection shows all the original factory sealing deteriorated, and some patching that was done under warranty 2 years ago is also shot. The person who inspected it said it is a 2-3 day process as the new sealer has to set up after application. I am no longer able to safely do it myself.
I have a 36 foot Class A and it cost me about a grand to have all the roof's sealant removed and replaced. Not cheap but they did a better job than the manufacturer. A couple of hundred was material and the rest was labor at about 145/hr.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #15

RV Roof Reseal cost

About 5 years ago the cost here in Lodi California for a 27ft roof reseal including ac gasket replacement $1500, without ac gasket replacement $1000
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #16
Canadian Member

Quote:

I’m going to have to assume that the sealer that’s shot is the self-leveling caulk. If you are no longer able to get up on the roof safely and do the bi-annual inspection and touch up of the caulking yourself, then I highly recommend you buy Eternabond tape and hire someone to apply it. The caulking has to be checked at least twice a year so if you just redo the self-leveling caulk you’ll be forever paying shop rates twice a year. It’ll be cheaper to pay for the Eternabond application once. I have no experience with the recoating products but I have used Eternabond.

Maybe the comment about 2-3 day cure time was due to the fact that we are now on the edge of winter with temps dipping below freezing at night. Whether you have the caulking redone or apply Eternabond, you’ll need to have the trailer inside a warm garage.

Others can give you recommendations for local RV maintenance and repair shops.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I'm also curious what sealer are you talking about exactly that needs 2-3 days to "set up"?

Is this a sealer for the roof material itself or the caulk for the seams?

Do you have any pictures?

I would assume self leveling lap sealant. It skins over fairly quickly but does take days or weeks or longer for it to fully cure, especially if laid on thick.

We had a 2010 Dutchmen trailer that we took delivery of 11 days after the build date, and went camping that weekend under a grove of Hemlocks. Hundreds of Hemlock needles were stuck in the roof sealant after the trip and remained there until they rotted away. That trailer is still in use, I sold it to a coworker at the time I still associate with. It's still the same original 12 yr old sealant, other than where he touched it up over the years.

I would think the OP's trailer was built using a bad batch of sealant for it to be shot within 4-5 years. Our current trailer is a 16 built in 15, Rockwood with an Alpha Systems vinyl roof, and the sealants are still fine.

I think its going to a pricey proposition. Just getting the old off without destroying the membrane and trim is a job in itself.
61Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #18

Thank you for your replies and especially the info on your experiences and costs. I'll hopefully add an update with my experience to this thread, appointment made and is about 2 weeks away.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Thank you for your replies and especially the info on your experiences and costs. I'll hopefully add an update with my experience to this thread, appointment made and is about 2 weeks away.
I will be watching for your reply as I'm considering having someone do it. To be clear it's just the sealant you are having replaced and not the roof material correct?
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #20

OK I will give you a ball park I was quoted 2 years ago, it is on a 40' Heartland Bighorn 5th wheel, it was a time and material quote that was around $350.00, this should give you some kind of idea.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, seal