Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Crack in siding

This is on an '05 Forest River Grand Surveyor, GS291 with slide-out. Three days ago I noticed a crack in the siding located at the bottom rear of the slide unit area. I just used this unit the first weekend of Feb. and am certain it was not there after the four days of camping. This unit has the "plastic", somewhat "formica" looking siding, not the metal type. I am going to try to load up two photos of this crack, one with the slide in, and one with the slide out. I'm wanting to know if there is any repair for this crack other than to have the entire side of this unit replaced. I'll also be looking at the bottom area of the slide for anything unusual that may have contributed to this crack. The slide unit worked just fine the last time I used it. Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	10321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2679.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	10322  
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #2

I would think there is a problem behind that siding.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Check your trailers camber
Marc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #4

To "Marc73" : First, Thank You for your reply. Second: I'm not sure I understand your message. I am very familiar with front end alignment work and "camber" is a method of measuring the amount, in degrees, of the relationship of the upper ball joint to the lower ball joint. Camber can be where the upper joint is ahead or behind the lower joint depending on the particular vehicle. NOW- I do also know that trailer axles have "Camber" built into the axles by bending the axles appropriately so that it appears the tires are leaning in at the top just so slightly. But I cannot relate how camber can be related to the crack in the siding of my camper. If you would furnish more information as to this possible relationship and I will certainly be willing to read and try to understand your position. Thanks, David
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In your first statement you say camber is the forward or rearward relationship of the upper ball joint to the lower . That would be caster.

I think what hes trying to say is check the casters on the slide out if even that makes any sense.
to me it looks like a weak point stress crack.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #6

You are correct that "caster" is the relationship of the ball joints in which the top joint would be ahead or behind the lower ball joint. I left out that "camber" would be the relationship of the joints as to the upper joint being "inward or outward". Now: The slide does not have what I would call "casters". This is the Lippert "under sofa" type slide mechanism and IMO, it's a terrible set-up. There is a rack and gear mechanism in the center of the slide to let it out or bring it back in. The ends of the slide roll on brass rollers mounted to the outer shell of the camper unit. ANY friction at all at either roller and that end will hang up slightly causing that end to "get behind" the other end. It's not always the same end either. Just a small push is all that is needed on the slow end to get things back in line. I have taken the roller units completely out, taken them apart, cleaned them good and checked that they will roll easily, which they do. I am now wondering if when they cut out for doors, windows, and slide units at the factory do they cut each corner a sharp corner or is this corner cut slightly rounded. A square cut could/would lead to cracking of the type I am seeing. In the meantime: I am going to very slightly gouge out the crack to get a slight "V" in the crack line, then use some epoxy to fill in this crack to prevent any water intrusion. I have also drilled a 1/8" hole just below the bottom of the crack and will check that often to determine if the crack is spreading. Thanks for the replies, David