Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #21

A rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyCamper View Post
I just went through this on my 2016 Ultra V 2715VS... It was 1 inch wide... only comes in white and black that I have found at CW. Really an easy fix and only took a few minutes. Out of curiosity, I check a few of the screws... and most had worked a bit loose. I snugged them up and put on the new trim! All good! Good Luck and Safe Travels! JW
Navy Blue
Red
Brown
Colonial White (cream)
1" SAMPLES White Black Red Navy Green & More Vinyl Insert Screw Cover RV Trailer

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #22

Replaced it after 1 year on our trailer, and again in 2017. All for it cracking.

I got fed up, asked myself "how often will I need to take all that trim off??" ... never. That's how often. Never. So I filled that channel with Lexel and am done with it. Sealed, forever. Or until I need a new roof, which will be someone elses problem by that time.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdraper View Post
To all that have responded, Thanks. I do have an e-mail into FR support on the actually size for the 2017 Shamrock. I will let you know the outcome. Fingers crossed on a return e-mail. My bet is it is 3/4". Any takers.
Well I did receive feedback from forest river and the seal was 1". Replaced without difficulty. Thanks for the help.
kdraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #24

I also heard back from Forest River and the track on the Mini-light is 1 inch, got the new material and it went in easy and I seal the edge at the roof top with Dicor. I also did find a few loose screws added some silicone and tightened them down. Thanks to all on the site and for the replay from Forest river they were quick to get back to my e-mails.
2017 Mini-lite 1905
2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn 5.7 Hemi
Fivebuccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdraper View Post
Well I did receive feedback from forest river and the seal was 1". Replaced without difficulty. Thanks for the help.
Just couldn't believe it was 1" looks like 3/4 or 5/8 . wow 1"
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #26

We had our pice on a previous tt come out while driving. Once a little pops out the wind pulls the rest. Reinstalled and put just a little clear caulk in a few spots and it never came out again.
Have a Jesus filled day
Greg in Michigan
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #27
Team Idaho

Trim

We have missing trim that should run horizontally (we bought this last year, used) and vertical trim that is dry and cracked and needs replaced. I am wondering -- is this stuff just cosmetic or does it prevent leaks? I bought the trim and am just waiting on the sealant but I do wonder if this is only for looks?
TeamIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #28

trim

It is cosmetic but also hides the screws that connect the panels together. It probably keeps some water out. Lay it in the groove and do not stretch it.
kdraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #29

Keeps the screw heads from rusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamIdaho View Post
We have missing trim that should run horizontally (we bought this last year, used) and vertical trim that is dry and cracked and needs replaced. I am wondering -- is this stuff just cosmetic or does it prevent leaks? I bought the trim and am just waiting on the sealant but I do wonder if this is only for looks?
In my experience (2 old trailers) they don't do much in the roof gutter (horizontal) runs. The verticals could be an exception.

The aluminum walls of the trailer cover a 1x2 that runs around the edge of the roof. The 1x2 is covered by the roof decking. The roof membrane laps over the wall, behind the roof gutter. A 1" wide strip of butyl tape (sticky, non-hardening caulk) is between the roof gutter and the membrane. The butyl tape seems to stop any water intrusion.

Where the vertical channels curve up to horizontal at the front and back seems to be a spot to watch. Water could puddle around the screw heads at the top and intrude.

The real spot to watch can't be protected by vinyl channel inserts. It is where the awning brackets bridge the rain gutter and are screwed right through the vinyl insert or just above it. There seems to be no way to stop intrusion there. The water ruins the 1x2 rim band and then wicks up into the roof decking. Both our trailers have semicircular soft spots in the roof decking, centered on the awning brackets.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack