Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

Dead awning (2016 Georgetown GT3)

So we pulled into a campground yesterday and I hit the button to extend the awning, and nothing. No click, no motor, no sounds at all. I looked through the manual to see if maybe there was a fuse for it, but don't see a dedicated fuse. That's about the extent of my electrical skills. Any ideas? Thanks!
jkbstingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

No guarantee here but.......

A lot of the Georgetown models have a few “direct run” wires with inline fuses in near proximity of your house batteries located under your entrance steps. Look for any smaller gauge wires connected to the positive posts. Some have found them powered from inside the BCC box you’ll see under there.

You may even find direct wires for the steps, awning, LP detector.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

Thanks Ken, I'll check there!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
Commercial Member

jkbstingray,

We would be happy to assist you with your 2016 Georgetown. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Nicholas Hoover in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...82734087052494.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #5

Curious what the resolution to this was.

I've had intermittent problems with my FR3 30DS awning such that I could use your exact description. I've found that the motor has a dead spot (like a bad or dirty brush contact). I need to go on the roof, remove the rubber grommet, twist the manual screw just a little, and then the awning works fine until I don't use it for a month or so. Then repeat. Happens about three times a season (a New England season!).
Old 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadiddle View Post
I need to go on the roof, remove the rubber grommet, twist the manual screw just a little, and then the awning works fine until I don't use it for a month or so. Then repeat. Happens about three times a season (a New England season!).
Think of the exercise you’re getting....
pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #7

Hey guys, sorry for not posting an update any sooner. We are on the road, and it took a while to get somebody to look at the awning. Turns out the motor was dead, so they replaced that this morning, and we're up and going again.

Thanks to Forest River, who helped behind the scenes by providing a wiring schematic to show me where the fuse was (inline, direct hookup to the house batteries) and offering suggestions of several things to check!

Jeff
Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #8

Alternate Motor Source

Hello, glad you got everything working again. This subject reminded me of another that had info about getting the awning motor cheaper. Here it is: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-110957.html I haven't needed to replace mine, but will probably go this route when mine dies.
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip! Too late this time, but worth saving for future reference... just in case!

Tags
awning, georgetown