Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Decals

2010 Work n Play 30WR Issues with decals peeling and or shrinking, what is a good method for removing them and the glue. Rig is parked under cover outside.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546[1].jpg
Views:	167
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	40916
sail_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #2

I have same problem & it is parked under cover.Will be following this also.
Ray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

I had to replace some, they just peel off. Clean the area with 3M adhesive remover. Clean the area wash it down and then install the new ones. Good Ytube on the process it is not hard to do. use a plastic squeeze to push any air or water bubbles out. The little ones left in will dry over time by themselves. You need to spray water with a little dawn mixed in on the area with a plain water bottle, then you need to soak the gray side and pull it off as you continue to squeeze the decal under it. Hope it helps but the Ytube viedo is the best to see the process.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

2nd the 3m adhesive remover. You can squirt it on and try peeling after letting it soak about 30 seconds or put it on a rag and let soak for a little bit.
DO NOT let it soak for 10+ minutes as this like many solvents can blister the paint.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
2nd the 3m adhesive remover. You can squirt it on and try peeling after letting it soak about 30 seconds or put it on a rag and let soak for a little bit.
DO NOT let it soak for 10+ minutes as this like many solvents can blister the paint.
I have used this on Gel coat for years on boats and now on my trailer. Only trailer I know that they use paint on is made by Redwood. I also use it on my truck to take the sap off, never ever took any paint off. But really you just need to pull the vinyl decal off very easy, I would wipe it down with 3M after you take it off just so you have a clean area for the new decal. Another hint is to use some blue tape to hold it in place as you start to pull the felt off the new one, that's the tricky part so it won't move. Also make some marks with a felt pen so you can install the new one in the same place.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

I never said it would take paint off. It doesn't. I use gallons of it a year working in the automotive collision industry. And u use this stuff on everything.
-- but prolonged contact WILL cause an issue, and I mean letting a rag soaked inthe stuff set on a hood for 30 minutes and you will start to see little blisters- ive only done it once and the blisters went down a few hours later.
-- never used it much on gelcoat but I would think the same rules would apply to it as clear coat. Basically the same stuff just thicker, higher viscosity, and application is slightly different frim what I've seen.
-- also those decals looked like they were on a cap, and many trailers have painted caps these days.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I never said it would take paint off. It doesn't. I use gallons of it a year working in the automotive collision industry. And u use this stuff on everything.
-- but prolonged contact WILL cause an issue, and I mean letting a rag soaked inthe stuff set on a hood for 30 minutes and you will start to see little blisters- ive only done it once and the blisters went down a few hours later.
-- never used it much on gelcoat but I would think the same rules would apply to it as clear coat. Basically the same stuff just thicker, higher viscosity, and application is slightly different frim what I've seen.
-- also those decals looked like they were on a cap, and many trailers have painted caps these days.
FR doesn't paint there caps and I know they didn't do it 2010. Gel coat will not blister from 3m. Thanks I'll make sure I do not just pour it on my truck hood taking the sap off. I guess anything can happen. I just wipe it with a rag and I hope that is what he would do. It's great stuff when you read the directions on how to apply. I'm glad your blisters dissipated other wise it could been an expensive paint job in order.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Ok, well all the 5ers weve been looking at do have painted caps, sabre, sandpiper, Sierra etc.