Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #1

Delamination - now what?

Found about one-foot area on the rear outside wall of 3-year-old Surveyor. What's involved in dealer fixing this and what would it cost? Not interested in DYI fix discussed on another thread. Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

No ideas?

Old 03-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
No ideas?
Sorry. I have no experience with that but if you search for Delamination, you'll find what others have already written.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #4

Take some pictures and go to a dealership/repair shop and get some idea of the cost and process to make the repairs. It would be difficult for anyone here to guess what it would cost as every case of delamination is different depending on the type of RV or location on the RV where it occurs.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
Tinkerer and Putterer

Delam often happens on lower panels and there is often a trim strip that hides where the lower panel attaches to the upper main panel. If your trailer has a separate lower panel and that is where the damage is you might get away with a bill that is under 2K. If the entire wall has to be replaced to fix the issue then you're talking some bucks and I would consider either living with it if it isn't too terrible or trading up in the near future. You'll never get the money you spend on a delam repair back out of your rig unless you're planning to keep it for a long long time. Just my .02.

Some shops will try to cut a panel from stock to do these repairs but most will order a new panel from the factory. If you decide to move forward with this type of repair I would consider sending the trailer to the factory during the off season for the repair or finding a shop that is accustomed to doing these types of repairs. If you need a full wall replacement the shop in question will need quite the jig to hold and install the new wall cleanly. Your average RV dealer is not equipped to handle that kind of a repair IMO. I'm based out of Garner NC and unfortunately I don't know of a shop around here that could handle a full wall replacement...
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Delam often happens on lower panels and there is often a trim strip that hides where the lower panel attaches to the upper main panel. If your trailer has a separate lower panel and that is where the damage is you might get away with a bill that is under 2K. If the entire wall has to be replaced to fix the issue then you're talking some bucks and I would consider either living with it if it isn't too terrible or trading up in the near future. You'll never get the money you spend on a delam repair back out of your rig unless you're planning to keep it for a long long time. Just my .02.

Some shops will try to cut a panel from stock to do these repairs but most will order a new panel from the factory. If you decide to move forward with this type of repair I would consider sending the trailer to the factory during the off season for the repair or finding a shop that is accustomed to doing these types of repairs. If you need a full wall replacement the shop in question will need quite the jig to hold and install the new wall cleanly. Your average RV dealer is not equipped to handle that kind of a repair IMO. I'm based out of Garner NC and unfortunately I don't know of a shop around here that could handle a full wall replacement...
Good info. Thanl you.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #7

You might want to call Countryside Service Center, they are located in Ringgold Va. which is not that far from you, they are not a dealer and rebuild trailers from the ground up. Ask to speak to Kevin Barker #434-822-7780. These people do excellent work, I highly recommend them. I have seen a toy hauler XL that a tree fell through the roof and side wall. They repaired it like it never happened...Hope they can give you and Idea.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
Canadian Member

I don't think there are any individual panels to change out. Videos of your model show a single rear wall panel. If gljurczyk's suggestion doesn't work for you, I'd seriously consider taking it back to the factory in Indiana for complete replacement of the wall. Since it's only 3 years old, call or email the Surveyor warranty rep to see if they will give you a break on the repair cost. You can find the rep's contact info in the Forum Library under Miscellaneous Documents.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

I just had Camping World in Statesville, NC replace a complete back wall under warranty. They are a collision center with a full repair facility. Very pleased with work.
rvpartime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpartime View Post
I just had Camping World in Statesville, NC replace a complete back wall under warranty. They are a collision center with a full repair facility. Very pleased with work.
May I ask what was the problem that a whole back wall had to be replaced under warranty?...and what did they find? Thanks in advance...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #11

Have had delam issues on 2 trailers. Most recent trailer is a 2014 that is undergoing 3 slide out wall replacements. Dealer is doing the work and involves the entire wall coming off. Not a job you can do in the driveway. Either the dealer or factory are equipped with this type of repair. Sorry to hear about another trailer with delam issues.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:20 AM   #12

water in corner of wall due to roof not sealed. New 2016 unit purchased in 2015.
rvpartime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination