Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #1

DYI Roof repair

Good afternoon,

I have developed a roof leak on my Rockwood Signature Ultra 8289ws. I first noticed brown streaks on the shower wall coming from the skylight. The skylight had been replaced by the dealer as a recall a few years ago. Upon checking on the roof around the skylight I found where the caulk was cracked & separating. As well a lot of condensation inside the inner dome of the skylight. I applied new caulking & thought problem solved.

This spring I noticed the same problem plus a brown stain in the bedroom ceiling. The bedroom is in front of the camper & beside the bathroom.The roof line on this model slopes down towards the front of the camper. Upon inspection of the roof around the skylight I found an area approximately 18"x24" where the roof decking has delaminated. As well another area approximately the same size towards the front of the camper was delaminated. Roofing material is still intact.

Still a lot of condensation within the inner dome. Dome was removed & the decking wood surrounding the opening was very wet. I suspect the skylight was still leaking as well as the condensation was seeping into the wood causing it to swell and separate. Dome was removed & overtime wood has dried out.

Wanting to get this repaired I took it to the dealer for an estimate. They stated the entire roof need to be replaced. $9,100 for materials only!

My fix is as follows.
1. Remove all the roofing membrane from behind the skylight starting from the side approximately 24-30" wide all the way towards the front roof cap.
2. Eliminate skylight & seal opening.
3. Unsure how thick the decking is at laminated area but cut/route out damaged and glue in new decking. There's styrofoam underneath decking which may need to be replaced too.
4. Replace roof membrane (Alpha Ply)
5. Apply Ethernabond tape to all edges.

Requesting suggestions & recommendations on this repair. I have never made this kind of a repair to a roof before but I don't believe it warrants an entire roof replacement.

Thanks for replying - need all the help I can get!

Sam
SamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #2

@cardwellmarty

I think it was him that did this..

I think he has a thread as well from a few years ago that covers what he did but I can't find it right now.

It was the skylight he was having issues with too.

Hopefully, he can assist.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roo, roof, roof repair