Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #1

Epdm or Tpo?

I have a 2006 Wildcat by Forrest River 5th wheel camper.
Anyone know if I have the Epdm or Tpo roof?
Im having small leak and I'd like to put something around the edges and vents, and then coat the entire roof with something after.
Any good info is very much appreciated.
Swilbanks75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

EPDM is smooth, TPO has an orange peel texture. Once you clean your roof it won't matter which type your roof is. Get some Eternabond tape and and following directions which come with it, cover all seams and roll it down good. Eternabond has a 10yr warranty if properly installed.

EternaBond

It is not cheap but very effective. They have application documents you can download to read before hand so you can be familiar with the process. Many members have applied Eternabond as a preventive measure on brand new rvs. I did my tt 6 yrs ago and have no problems since.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #3

Hopefully you know where the leak is coming from.

I have a 2006 motorhome and touched up my lap seams in 2017 for the first time. Just cleaned the roof yesterday, it's an epdm roof, and it's still in great shape.

Assuming you've caught the leak early you can also using Dicor self leveling lap seam caulk to fill in any cracks, pits, or holes in the existing roof seams - anywhere theres a protrusion through the roof.

Theres lots of info on the internet on how to do it. It's cheaper than eterna bond. Should last many years just like your existing caulked seams have.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:56 AM   #4

I havent found the leak. I'd prefer to coat the entire roof with something before taping everywhere. I have used the tape for a while now but is there not a good product we can brush and roll on the whole thing before taping the seams?
Old 07-26-2020, 06:29 AM   #5

Dicor makes a roof recoating System. Plenty of YouTube videos on it also. May be sufficient.
TheMcBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #6

I am a little confused. Your original post said put something around the edges then the whole roof later.
Your later post said cover the whole thing then tape was your preference.

If it were me, I would nail down the root cause first and fix those first. Might have a cracked vent, an AC seal, skylight crack. Vent covers are easy, the others are more involved and you might be doing rework if you covered the whole thing first.

Eterna bond or dicor choices aside.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #7

Thank you. I'll see about getting this
Old 07-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

If you have TPO roofing make sure you use a coating compatible with it. What may be compatible with EPDM may not necessarily be compatible with TPO. In either instance it is better to find and fix the leak then coat the roof.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If you have TPO roofing make sure you use a coating compatible with it. What may be compatible with EPDM may not necessarily be compatible with TPO. In either instance it is better to find and fix the leak then coat the roof.
My plan was to tape entire perimeter, around all vents, skylights, etc... using eternabond. But I'd also like to coat the whole thing. I guess my thinking is to just treat the whole thing as a leak. But I cant figure out what type. It seems smoother than orange peel (as a drywall contractor I apply orange peel a lot) but not super smooth.
Thanks to you all for helping me here. I just sold my bumper pull and got this rv a couple months ago and I want to do all the repairs right.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
I am a little confused. Your original post said put something around the edges then the whole roof later.
Your later post said cover the whole thing then tape was your preference.

If it were me, I would nail down the root cause first and fix those first. Might have a cracked vent, an AC seal, skylight crack. Vent covers are easy, the others are more involved and you might be doing rework if you covered the whole thing first.

Eterna bond or dicor choices aside.

Chris
The vents and the skylight are all in good shape. Not sure how I'd go about checking AC seal.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #11

Remove a skylight trim inside and see if there is any roofing material hanging past the opening. Most epdm has a black backing, all tpo has a white backing sometimes a fleece backing. There is a brand of epdm that is white on the back, not very common. From there you need to test elasticity. Epdm will stretch and return to its original position. TPO will stretch and not fully return, leaves a wrinkle.
Matthuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote