Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #1

EternaBond 6" single pass or 4" double pass?

I will be applying EternaBond to my roof cap seam. To cover all the current sealant it looks like I'll need a little more than 4" of the EternaBond. I was planning on purchasing a small roll of 6" wide EternaBond but I have some concerns with installing a 6" wide tape. Filling in the gaps and making it look neat could be difficult, so I thought two 4" passes would be easier to install and may not look too bad. Has anyone tried the two pass method? Any opinions either for or against such an install? Thanks!
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Camper

I do the two passes of 4" tape on my front seams. Just lay down the rear most layer and then the front layer. This way the seam between the two layers is facing reward.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2381467

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #3

I would clean up the old sealant as much as possible, at least smoothing it out.
Then I would use the width of Eternabond that gives me a good margin past the old sealant. I didn't find 6" any harder to apply than 4", but both definitely more tricky than 2".
I would want to limit any seams and edges. So.... 6".
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #4

I donít want to turn this into a debate, but Iíve been told itís not wise to use eternabond tape in this manner, as if you ever have to do something in this area, repair wise, you will never get the tape off. Essentially you risk pulling off part of the roof with the tape and you have more issues at that point than you did before.

Sealing that area isnít all that hard with the proper sealant for the application and the right prep work. The hardest part is getting up there and being able to do it when itís not raining or super hot out. Prep work is the key.

Iím new to FR products so maybe this is how they do it factory? I know my last trailer (not FR) had sealant though, because I did have an issue I had to fix, and I had to fix it twice..because, well, prep work. But it was perfect after done correctly.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #5

Removed old eternabond with heat slowly and it peels off without damaging

5 star forum💯🚃

Red blood matters unite as one
Dawns1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #6

Oh ok, good to know. I keep a piece in the trailer for emergencies.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I would clean up the old sealant as much as possible, at least smoothing it out.
Then I would use the width of Eternabond that gives me a good margin past the old sealant. I didn't find 6" any harder to apply than 4", but both definitely more tricky than 2".
I would want to limit any seams and edges. So.... 6".
X2 ^^ Less seam edges the better.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #8

(Tpc)

The use of eternabond is certainly debatable. Its an individual choice. I dont see it as something I would use on the roofing area unless it was an emergency and even then duct tape might be acceptable as a field repair.

I do carry a roll of eterna bond, purchased long before it became so widely used as preventative maintenance. It is past its shelf life but I've used it to tape all my arctic pak heating pads edges back to their tanks as the pad glue was coming loose. Started that 8 years ago as needed and they're still holding like the day I put the tape on.

My preference is Dicor self leveling lap sealant to maintain the roof seals. It's cheap, easy, and forced me to get up close to inspect everything on th roof. A case is made from time to time that using eterna bond tape on the roof frees a person from roof preventative maintenance or getting up there for inspections.

Not everyone is going in the direction of eterna bond as preventative maintenance.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond