Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #1

Eternabond

After a bad experience with my last 5er and since I'm about to leave the new Silverback at the deer lease for a few months, I decided to bite the bullet and apply Eternabond to all the roof penetrations, and the front/rear cap seams.

So this morning I scrubbed the seams with 'Awesome' cleaner,; wiped the crud off, then, after it dried, I wiped the seams with acetone including a good margin for the 4" or 6" tape.

After the acetone evaporated, the tape went down fairly easily. There was a learning curve in handling this stuff, but I finally got the hang of it. After firmly rubbing it/rolling it down, I applied dicor to most of the tape seams. I still have not done the side seams nor the front cap seam, and I'm out of dicor, but I can always do that later.

I do have a couple of questions; is the white Eternabond tape paintable? The front cap of the Silverback is a medium/dark brown, and the white tape is going to stand out badly for about 3" on each side where the seams meet the gutter. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I guess I can stop the Eternabond on top, and just use the dicor on the sides, but I'd sure like to cover as much of the seam as possible.

Also, I've noticed a couple of spots on the roof where there appears to be a small piece of trash beneath the membrane. Since I'm walking on the roof a lot while doing this, I worry that in my effort to prevent leaks, I may, in fact cause one. I have several odd sized "cut offs" of the tape, and I'm considering just cleaning and applying these over the spots just to build a thicker roof over the trash. But I'm concerned about that one spot that was stepped on repeatedly, yet missed.
So, I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

dg
Old 09-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #2

I don't know if the Eternabond tape can be painted, but it does come in black, so that wouldn't be quite as noticeable.

2014 Cardinal 3450RL
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW
F.R.O.G. Members
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

You can buy eternabond tape that is paintable. However i think that if you lightly scrub up the surface of the tape backing it should take paint fine. Also you can buy the tape in black, white and tan colors.
DuncanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #4

Paint a piece...let it dry...check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:44 AM   #5

I called Eternabond today. Nope, the standard white tape will not hold paint.
Their "web seal" product is paintable. I hate to spend another $90 for a 50' roll, just to get 10' just so I can paint 15" of the stuff, but I may not have a choice. I guess it's not a bad thing to have some of this stuff on hand anyway.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

dg
Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #6

Well I buy most times off of ebay for eternabond tape. Many sellers sell by the foot so if I need just 15 feet of 2" tape I go that rout rather than sitting on a larger roll.
I did check but no one sells the webseal by the foot but you can certainly get it cheaper there than any RV store usually. Unless you have a bias against ebay.
Webseal by Eternabond RV Roof Repair Tape 4" x 50' | eBay
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond