Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

Eternabond as preventative Maintenance

Thanks to RSDATA who started this 2015 thread.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

The warranty period has recently passed on our rig. I am ready to apply eternabond to the roof perimeter. I had originally considered just the front and back seams but after some inspection on the sides last week, looks like it would be prudent to cover the sides. RSDATA has covered this application well in his posts.

I have a few questions for those of you that have done this;

-Preparation. Some have used mineral spirits followed up with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol), others have used acetone. Eternabond recommends eterna-clean or acetone in this instruction doc. I am just checking with you guys, did you use acetone or eterna-clean?

Sides of front cap: My rig is a darker color. I would like to run the eternabond tape down the vertical sides of the front cap...but it would look like crap due to the bright white tape. Have any of you done it on a darker trailer?

Sealant on tape edges: I have seen several posts where folks use dicor sealant around the tape edges. Lots of commentary about no need for this due to the tape sticking so well. Did you use sealant on any of the edges?

Thanks
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

The four-inch wide Eternabond tape applied to the roof seams of my Roo 23SS in 2005 is still in excellent condition after 13 years as verified when I was on the roof putting the winter cover on earlier this month. No peeling or anything else. This trailer has always been covered or indoor stored at least 5 months a year in the winter but that's still a lot of time in he elements.

Preparation before taping included a ruthless cleaning of all surfaces with denatured alcohol. A couple quart cans are cheap at Lowes or Home Depot.

Sample of one (1) of course. YMMV.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Site Team

I used Eterna-Clean when I did my front and back seems. Worked well and easy to use.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

I just applied to my 2009 23SS this fall. Applied to end seams along with around the vent, AC unit and all other roof extremities. I used their solvent cleaner before applying. I also had some denatured alcohol to insure a clean area before applying. No additional sealant was used.

Followed the instructions completely. Decided not to go to the sided even though the unit is white. Instead I'll reseal this spring with the correct caulk/sealant.

Good luck. Merry Christmas.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

thinking of doing this as well do you remove the factory caulk or jus tape over it ??
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

In my case, I went right over it. I viewed numerous videos on the way to apply. No need to remove the old sealant.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack522 View Post
In my case, I went right over it. I viewed numerous videos on the way to apply. No need to remove the old sealant.
Thanks !
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #8

Same same. Directly over existing caulk. There were big blobs of caulk over rivets or screws (or something) that I razored flat on one end and left the other end as built. Both ends are fine and unless you're 30' above the trailer the blob raised nubs are invisible.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #9

I cleaned with soap, water, and scrub brush, let dry one day. Then cleaned with lacquer thinner as I worked an area. 4 inch strip on back, then cut into 2 inch strips for sides, then 4 inch across front. All tape rolled down with heavy metal roller. Applied over old sealer except for couple of Big blobs which I trimmed. No additional sealer needed.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
thinking of doing this as well do you remove the factory caulk or jus tape over it ??

I just cleaned mine good with mineral spirits and applied right over sealant.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #11

Have an area in rear of MH where there was slight water intrusion and delaminated the fiberglass roof in a small area the dealer wants $1000.00 to reseal all seems and skylights with Dicor. There is not roof damage and afterwards I will put Eternabond tape on all seems. I am wondering if I should just tape now a forgo the seems being redone by dealer.
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #12

Based on the testimonies/guidance I have come across on this subject, it indicates the existing caulk/sealant is rendered useless after it is covered with eternabond.

If it were me, I would spend resources/time on the eternabond application and call it done.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #13

Having been down this road before with our first Class A, I taped all of the roof seams the day after we took delivery. Don't have to worry about it
Old 12-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #14
Newly Retired

Prep for Eternabond

As far as cleaning the area before taping. The more I read about it, I decided that a good scrubbing with detergent was nessasarry. I saw no point in rubbing with a solvent with road grime on it. Getting it good and clean is no mystery. Soap water and a scrub brush.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #15

re

I washed the roof first and then cleaned the area to tape with acetone. I then rolled it the best I could with a rubber roller. I just did the front and rear caps, still up in the air about sides. Didn't lay dow real smooth but as long as it keeps water out who cares.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #16

Regarding the color, when we had our Rockwood, it had a tan roof. I was able to order the Eternabond tape in the same tan color. Don't know if any other colors are available, but it does come in white and tan.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
Thanks to RSDATA who started this 2015 thread.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

The warranty period has recently passed on our rig. I am ready to apply eternabond to the roof perimeter. I had originally considered just the front and back seams but after some inspection on the sides last week, looks like it would be prudent to cover the sides. RSDATA has covered this application well in his posts.

I have a few questions for those of you that have done this;

-Preparation. Some have used mineral spirits followed up with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol), others have used acetone. Eternabond recommends eterna-clean or acetone in this instruction doc. I am just checking with you guys, did you use acetone or eterna-clean?

Sides of front cap: My rig is a darker color. I would like to run the eternabond tape down the vertical sides of the front cap...but it would look like crap due to the bright white tape. Have any of you done it on a darker trailer?

Sealant on tape edges: I have seen several posts where folks use dicor sealant around the tape edges. Lots of commentary about no need for this due to the tape sticking so well. Did you use sealant on any of the edges?

Thanks
You can get black Eternabond if you search for it.

The reason people seal the edges of Eternabond with sealant is that the adhesive bleeds a little bit which catches dirt. It's unattractive but harmless. I wouldn't do it on the roof but you might want to do it for the sides.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bleu View Post
... Eternabond tape in the same tan color...

I found it on Amazon— that’s so awesome! Thank you so much.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #19

Yes yes yes!

I replaced all dicor on my trailer roof with eternabond, then painted over the tape edges with flex seal, no maintenance ever again! And it looks great!
dwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #20

loving Eternabond

Been lurking for a couple months since buying our new Microlite FLBS. Enjoy learning more about our RV from the folks here. We downsized from a '04 32' Ft 5w Cruiser. I used Eternabond on the 5w and a class C earlier and was very impressed with the toughness and adhesion of this stuff. I also used mineral spirits to prep area. You need to get on hands & knees and clean well but it's worth it for the peace of mind IMHO. One caution however, I put Eternabond around a new fridge vent on roof of 5w. After about 8 yrs I thought about the possibility of the Eternabond out lasting the vent flange and what a big hassle it would be to try to remove it. Sold the 5w 2 yrs later so it was moot point. I think if you plan to keep your rig for a decade or more, it would be prudent to use Eternabond, and the earlier the better. I don't work for Eternabond or have stock in. Thank you for allowing me to participate! Dennis
denlinsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, maintenance, vent