Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #41

ether bond 4"

:sterb188 :

Used 4" washed entire roof with 2 part T P O
used 4"
i used it
think we covered it
Old 08-05-2020, 07:40 AM   #42

Removing Eternabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I don't have experience doing that, but I have heard that you can heat the tape with a heat gun to peal it off, or alternatively, cut the eternabond tape ( a skylight) at the edge with a razor knife, replace the skylight unit, then merely tape over like you did the first time you installed the tape... after all it is eterna-bonded to the roof.

This would be similar to installing the tape directly over newer ( in good shape) caulk, without trying to remove the caulk first.
I have successfully removed Eternabond. The skylights on the slideout were simple 1/16" sheets of 24"x24" polycarbonate. Cherokee had placed butyl tape under the sheets, screwed them down, and then taped the entire perimeter with 2" Eternabond. After 11 years, both skylights had yellowed and become brittle. When a flying pine branch went through one of them, it was time to replace them.

I used a heat gun and a very dull 3" scraper (putty knife) to remove the bulk of the Eternabond. (The scraper had previously been used to remove paint from a concrete porch so it had no sharp edges or corners.) Then I scrubbed the surface with mineral spirits to remove the residual adhesive. This left the surface with a slightly oily feeling. Per RSdata's recommendation, I followed up with an alcohol rinse which left it dry for a good bond with the new polycarbonate (1/8" this time) and Eternabond. I omitted the screws and butyl tape and still achieved a watertight seal.

I would say that the Eternabond and the butyl tape were about equally tedious to remove. Both needed the heat gun, scraper, and mineral spirits.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #43

Well I had my Eternabond fun. I did my roof, front seam and back seam along with the rain gutters.

Probably would not do it again when I buy my new trailer.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #44

Do the front and rear seams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
Well I had my Eternabond fun. I did my roof, front seam and back seam along with the rain gutters.

Probably would not do it again when I buy my new trailer.
After seeing how bad the damage can be when the front and rear seams leak (and they will), I would definitely do those on a new trailer.

For a "stick-and-tin" trailer, the aluminum siding that's bent over onto the roof really wants to spring back. It works that transition strip loose in one place (end or middle) and once water gets in, it leaks all along. On our SOB trailer, the screws missed the lateral 2x2 and were only into the luan and loosened quickly.

(As I'm rebuilding it, I replaced the 2x2 with a 2x4 to make sure the screws grabbed wood.)

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, roo, roof