Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #21

The drain tube on my 2007 Surveyor SV291 dosen't come through the fridge vent, rather fits into a clip in the vent grill that holds it in place. The grill also keeps small insects and spiders from getting in the hose and blocking it's flow. I check it make sure it is secure when I check my tire pressure before each trip.The vent is right above the tires and I just look up. So far I haven't had any problems with the way it drains.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #22
jsn

We just had our walk-thew on our 2010 Rockwood 8315bss, The tech said that Forest River 'never' pushes the fridge drain out the vent. He didn't know why, but he always makes sure it is pushed out of the vent before the RV leaves the lot. It is on their checklist.
jsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #23
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I'd like to add one thing about the fridge drain. I always push it back in when I store the unit, I have no idea why but I do. Thursday evening I was outside and remembered this posting so I opened the grille, grabbed the tube to place it through the grille and I got a one inch piece with the end. The tubing became brittle and kept breaking off in short pieces. Friday I priced a replacement tube and was shocked by the price. Especially one retailer on line wants $16.95 for the little end piece alone plus $13.95 to ship it. I could have sworn I saw a pistol pointed at me through my screen. I decided to give HD a try. Bingo! they sell the reinforced tubing for under $13. It's 10 ft long, you don't need more than 3 ft so you'll have plenty left over. The end piece fits snugly inside and it slides over the drain nipple securely. I put a couple wireties to hold it in place. It's 3/4"OD x 1/2" ID Tubing with the mesh in it. This stuff won't kink either. Plus it won't become brittle and break off.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Great tip.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #25

UPDATE

Got my trailer back from the dealer. I can see what has been done to address my problem (hopefully...). The "bubbles" are so small the fix would likely be worse than the problem so I am going to live with it. Anyone with the same setup might be interested. A little elbow grease and an hour of a person's time my save their trailer from the same fate as mine.

I've attached some pics showing the removed screws (from the bottom only, beside the mounting clips). Apparently the dealership made a dam that goes over the edge of the opening, it is not visible because it would be under the caulking. The outside cover was removed to do the repair, I believe.

I have attached pics of the vent setup. It drains out the fridge vent cover as required. I can't say for sure that it has always been where it is now.

Hopefully this helps someone, see what I mean about the bubbles. You can't even see them in the pics.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2363   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	2364   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2365   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2367  
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #26

Very interesting topic. My 2010 Rockwood is set up the same and I can visibly see the bubbles under the fiberglass below the fridge vent. Spoke to Forest River and Dealer and was advised to send photos. For that section below the fridge vent and wheel well cover, would they would need to replace the entire wall or is there a way a repair can be done?
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Timely too.

My white plastic tube is falling apart now and will be dripping inside the coach before long. Time for this repair.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #28

Just brought my Trailer to the factory this past Saturday for the bubbles in fiberglass under fridge vent. Hoping they do a good repair job. I've seen other manufactures that attempted to fix the problem but only made it worse. Will keep you updated on the repairs and what they did to fix it. Just wanted to let everyone know that the Warranty Department has been wonderful to deal with. They have always sent out a broken part timely and have stood behind their product. Having seen their facility first hand when I dropped off my trailer was impressive. Right in the middle of Amish community and nothing but farm land everywhere. The buildings are huge and have trailers all around them. Just wish I could of swapped out mine for a new one as I'm sure they wouldn't miss 1 of the 100's outside ready for delivery. Yes I've had my fair share of problems but my interactions with the warranty department would make me purchase another trailer from Rockwood.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #29
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I'd like to add one thing about the fridge drain. I always push it back in when I store the unit, I have no idea why but I do. Thursday evening I was outside and remembered this posting so I opened the grille, grabbed the tube to place it through the grille and I got a one inch piece with the end. The tubing became brittle and kept breaking off in short pieces. Friday I priced a replacement tube and was shocked by the price. Especially one retailer on line wants $16.95 for the little end piece alone plus $13.95 to ship it. I could have sworn I saw a pistol pointed at me through my screen. I decided to give HD a try. Bingo! they sell the reinforced tubing for under $13. It's 10 ft long, you don't need more than 3 ft so you'll have plenty left over. The end piece fits snugly inside and it slides over the drain nipple securely. I put a couple wireties to hold it in place. It's 3/4"OD x 1/2" ID Tubing with the mesh in it. This stuff won't kink either. Plus it won't become brittle and break off.
It is information like this that makes this forum great. And of course, like almost anything else, it is the people who make the whole thing work.

I will keep an eye on my refrig drain tube.

Thanks

Thanks.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Sigh, mine is breaking up too. It is on my winterization checklist to repair with a hose from Home Depot/Lowes.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

Mine comes from inside to a drip pan inside the compartment and evaporates from the heat from the burner.

White shield is to direct air from fans upward towards tubes and fins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig Drain Tube.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	19860  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Sigh, mine is breaking up too. It is on my winterization checklist to repair with a hose from Home Depot/Lowes.
On our old trailer, I got a pc of clear tubing from Lowes that fit over the original hose and just pushed in up on the old hose as far as it would go which was about 12"-18" and put the screeen in the end of it and wire tied the end of the hose around it. Worked real good and was still pliable when we traded the trailer off this last Feb.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #33

Same here, my dripping hose is so brittle I'm afraid of touching it.

I am wondering how difficult it is to route the new hose from the dripping tray to the outside...
Old 09-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

I will be finding out in a week or so. The camper will be getting a complete work list done as part of winterizing. Replacing that hose is on the list.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #35

It is funny how topics do seem to come up on here right when you need them...

While I was waxing the camper two weekends ago, I was cleaning the fridge grille, and in the process of moving this vent hose, it broke off from brittleness. I removed the grille, but I can't even see where this hose originates from, it's so far up there behind stuff. So I used a small piece of tubing I had laying around and "fixed" the end (including the little insect screen,) but I don't know how long this repair will last. Looks like another thing for the winterization list.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
UPDATE

Got my trailer back from the dealer. I can see what has been done to address my problem (hopefully...). The "bubbles" are so small the fix would likely be worse than the problem so I am going to live with it. Anyone with the same setup might be interested. A little elbow grease and an hour of a person's time my save their trailer from the same fate as mine.

I've attached some pics showing the removed screws (from the bottom only, beside the mounting clips). Apparently the dealership made a dam that goes over the edge of the opening, it is not visible because it would be under the caulking. The outside cover was removed to do the repair, I believe.

I have attached pics of the vent setup. It drains out the fridge vent cover as required. I can't say for sure that it has always been where it is now.

Hopefully this helps someone, see what I mean about the bubbles. You can't even see them in the pics.

I did the exact same "repair" when my fifth was brand new, as a preventative measure, but I used the Dicor self-leveling sealant. It looks like your dealer just used silicone, so I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't start to peel and leak again.

As for the fridge drain tube not being stuck through the vent cover from the factory, it is obvious that the guy who installs that cover is simply too lazy to do it right. So what else is new?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
...I am wondering how difficult it is to route the new hose from the dripping tray to the outside...
Just find a pc of hose from Lowes/HD and slide it over the existing hose and extend it out the door if that's what you want to do. Why do that with the drip pan? I have screen wire over the back of the door to keep mud daubers, spiders, etc. at bay.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Just find a pc of hose from Lowes/HD and slide it over the existing hose and extend it out the door if that's what you want to do. Why do that with the drip pan? I have screen wire over the back of the door to keep mud daubers, spiders, etc. at bay.
The existing one is falling apart and will soon be gone completely. So I would rather replace all of it with a newer, sturdier one, from the drip pan to the outside.

The little drip tray snaps out, I can pull it out. I would then connect the new hose and route it at the back... that's what I wondering about.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #39

Found this link, could be helpful.

Dometic Refrigerator Drain Hose
Old 09-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #40

Our fridge "slober tube" was also tucked inside when we got our TT. I luckily noticed it the first time we used the TT.

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote