Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Fading front cap

I have a 2016 Surveyor 251rks that I waxed last year. Apparently I didn’t get all the front cap waxed evenly and the upper 1/3 is fading. I tried to wax it again today and the, new finish liquid, just dried in a white film that doesn’t want to buff out by hand. What do I do. If I leave it will it wear off? At 72 I’m not as agile as I once was so I’m looking for the easy fix. Any help will be appreciated thanks.
Themeads46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #2

If it is Dark Brown it is a known defect in the jel-coat. No easy fix. It is like cancer it will keep spreading. Call Camping world for a confirmation. Sand and Paint is the only fix that I know of. It cost me $1500. I feel your pain.
Mutineer3366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themeads46 View Post
I have a 2016 Surveyor 251rks that I waxed last year. Apparently I didn’t get all the front cap waxed evenly and the upper 1/3 is fading. I tried to wax it again today and the, new finish liquid, just dried in a white film that doesn’t want to buff out by hand. What do I do. If I leave it will it wear off? At 72 I’m not as agile as I once was so I’m looking for the easy fix. Any help will be appreciated thanks.
This happens to all of them. Spend big$$$$$$ or live with it. No easy fix.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

I ended up taking it to a local paint and body shop and they buffed it out. It looks better than new. Now we will see if it holds up. If it just fades again and it needs repainted I may be glad I bought the extended warrenty.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themeads46 View Post
I have this very problem on my 2016 F285GSLR Toyhauler. I'm currently inquiring about the possibility of vinyl wrapping it. Will post and update if doable and cost...darn tired of buffing it out...this is a definate Forest River Fail!!!
rtaverne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #6

After paying a body shop to buff out the fading on my front cap, three months later the fading is back as bad as ever. While detailing my car I was using Maguires protectant and Itried it on the front of my trailer and it looks like new. I think the protrctant is similar to Amorall. It’sonlybeen 3 days in the sun but it looks good. It was so easy to sprayon and wipe off and all the faided color came back. After I did the front with protectant I did a automotive paste wax. The protectant may have kept the wax from penetrating but I did it anyway. If I have to wipe down the front with the protectant 2 or 3;times a year so be it. It looks good