Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Question Fiberglass Bubbles

Hello

We are interested in a 2007 Sierra 315bht fifth wheel and when we went to look at it we noticed that the fiberglass looks like it is separating from the trailer all around the trailer. It does not appear to be water damage since it is not in spots where water damage would occur, under slides and around the water pump areas.

The current owner said he purchased it that way used from a dealer and the dealer told him it was cosmetic and the fiberglass glue was just failing and it was separating from the plywood underneath. Another dealer told him that it could be fixed but most likely would happen again and there was no real need to fix it since it was cosmetic.

I thought maybe it was a bent frame since that is common with sierras i hear but there is not really any signs of frame shifting inside the trailer except for a few spots where the trim molding has pulled away ever so slightly from the wall corners but i could just be over obsessing...

Another concern is the fact that they discontinued this model, could it be due to defects or simply because it was not popular?

Has anyone had similar issues and is this truly cosmetic? is it something i should worry about? We really love this layout and have not found anything similar and would love some feedback! We will be living in this rig full time and traveling on the road full time. Thank you!
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanpottery View Post
Hello

We are interested in a 2007 Sierra 315bht fifth wheel and when we went to look at it we noticed that the fiberglass looks like it is separating from the trailer all around the trailer. It does not appear to be water damage since it is not in spots where water damage would occur, under slides and around the water pump areas.

The current owner said he purchased it that way used from a dealer and the dealer told him it was cosmetic and the fiberglass glue was just failing and it was separating from the plywood underneath. Another dealer told him that it could be fixed but most likely would happen again and there was no real need to fix it since it was cosmetic.

I thought maybe it was a bent frame since that is common with sierras i hear but there is not really any signs of frame shifting inside the trailer except for a few spots where the trim molding has pulled away ever so slightly from the wall corners but i could just be over obsessing...

Another concern is the fact that they discontinued this model, could it be due to defects or simply because it was not popular?

Has anyone had similar issues and is this truly cosmetic? is it something i should worry about? We really love this layout and have not found anything similar and would love some feedback! We will be living in this rig full time and traveling on the road full time. Thank you!
If I were you I would stay away from it, That is what is called delamination. It will only get worst. That is caused buy the glue(easy term) it was either not mixed right or applied right. and never cured correctly. They had the same issue in the marine ind. in the 80's and 90's, it would happen to the hulls. It is NOT COSMETIC !!!!.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Have to agree with stay away. After delam comes water damage, rot and wood failure. Because its an RV it's built very lightweight (thin) to keep weight down. You may be facing major repair bills in the not distant future. The unit may experience high humidity for long periods causing the wall failures.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #4

Thank you all for your help, that is as i suspected but was hoping to be untrue
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #5

I read the comments is there away to fix this if it happens?
The reason i ask is my new to me Georgetown has two small places in it
should I worry?
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trell View Post
I read the comments is there away to fix this if it happens?
The reason i ask is my new to me Georgetown has two small places in it
should I worry?
Trell, Sorry to say but their is no easy fix. If I were you I would take a picture or circle it and see if it grows. If your unit is starting to delaminate it will not stop just get worst. But if it's small spots as you have said it could just be cosmetic. Keep an eye on it........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
315bht, bunkhouse, fiberglass separation, sierra