Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #1

Flooded underbelly and wet insulation

I am a new owner of 2020 Rockwood GeoPro and apparently had a leak early and it may have been under the kitchen faucet which I noticed and replaced. While looking at the water pump there is an opening into the underbelly and insulation below and I just happen to put my hand in and the insulation was sopping wet. It’s hard to tell if I fixed the only leak but let’s assume for a minute I have, do I need to remove the Coroplast and replace all the insulation or might it dry out ? Are there other things to help the drying process ?

Any advice would help my first few days of my retirement dream haven’t been going as planned.
Jv112602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #2

Underbelly construction

Well to add insult to injury I watched a video on how these GeoPro’s are constructed. The underbelly or membrane is wrapped up the sides and not merely attached underneath so how the heck somebody removes it and replaces it get even murkier in my mind. Hoping for someone smarter?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
Scoundrel

To begin, welcome to the forums although sorry that you're first posts are about a problem leak.... I didn't realize the new GeoPros came with an enclosed under belly.... hopefully someone who has had to tear into theirs will offer some advice.

However, if it was me and without any other guidance, I would slit the coroplast open across the trailer at the rear and then slit open each side and peel it forward to expose the insulation and scope out the extent of the problem. The ultimate plan would be to dry out (or replace) the insulation and then tape the coroplast shut.

Again, hopefully someone will chime in who has had a similar issue as the one you're having.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jv112602 View Post
Well to add insult to injury I watched a video on how these GeoPro’s are constructed. The underbelly or membrane is wrapped up the sides and not merely attached underneath so how the heck somebody removes it and replaces it get even murkier in my mind. Hoping for someone smarter?
I was able to find places it crossed over wood so I cut it there so the pieces could be stapled back, then taped finally covered with small piece of coroplast.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:21 AM   #5

Cut the belly!

Well
As a new rv owner I hoped for a more elegant solution but given how these were built I had no choice but to cut the under belly open in suspicious areas remove wet insulation ( there was a lot) and begin drying the underbelly out . I emailed Rockwood service and they confirmed this approach and recommended the tape t use when closing it back up. Turns out a lot of it was on top of the fresh water tank and would have never simply dried it was a pond.

I have turned the water back on now that things are open and dry to hunt down the leak and then insulation and tape are in my future. Thanks for your words it gave me the encouragement I needed to finally cut open the belly of the beast.

Thx
Jay
Old 04-16-2021, 06:31 AM   #6

The tape is called scrim shield or flex mend tape on amazon.
But i used gorella tape on mine then ended up using silicone to glue ends to stop it from pealing
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
......However, if it was me and without any other guidance, I would slit the coroplast open across the trailer at the rear and then slit open each side and peel it forward to expose the insulation and scope out the extent of the problem. The ultimate plan would be to dry out (or replace) the insulation and then tape the coroplast shut......
I'd probably do the same as I would continue to worry about a continuing leak, and I'd want the insulation to dry out or be replaced. I vaguely recall someone posting about a special tape for the coroplast, but I'm guessing a good quality duct tape would work, too.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #8

<<"I emailed Rockwood service and they confirmed this approach and recommended the tape t use when closing it back up.>>"

So, what did Rockwood recommend for tape?
Old 04-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #9

recommended repair tape

Click image for larger version

Name:	A24FFAFB-466D-44E7-A7E1-D85A1F3116AE.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	252150
Old 04-17-2021, 12:15 AM   #10

For what it's worth, I purchased my 2015 FR Rockwood new and it had no enclosed belly...no liner...just bare naked chasis under there for all the world to see. Which has been very useful from a owner's perspective. Having that access made the wiring runs for various mods easy. It also allowed me to spot my sagging fresh water tank bracing early on. I'm based out of Colorado, so I've camped in unexpected cold weather without any issues from "bottom exposure". My point is, if your bottom is sealed up and you are having anxiety over breaking that barrier to explore some potential issue, don't fret about how to seal it all up again. Personally, I would have anxiety if I COULDN'T slide under there any time to do an inspection.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:14 PM   #11

Water Leak

Getting that wet insulation out is a good first step.
I didn't find it and ended up with rotten floor and wall wood members.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #12

More wet insulation

I originally found a bunch of wet insulation and dried the area out near the water pump and replaced insulation in this area. When I was working on the edges near storage compartments doors and the very front of the trailer I encountered more damp insulation areas and the front was soaked and even a little black. All of these areas are well away from any part of the water system. So looking for some wisdom on possible sources of front leaks perhaps storage door issues? It has rained recently if that matters. Seems like a lot of problems for trailer < 2 years old but what do I know.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #13

I also found an underbelly full of water which I traced to the front corner molding. When I took it off I could see the dirt streaks were water seeped in ran down and then back the entire length of my camper. As fate would have it I stored it nose up so the water ran all the way back.

That would be where I'd start my hunt.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #14

Water Leak

Sorry to have to tell you this, but if you had a water leak and black anywhere, you will soon have rotten frame members, requiring replacement.
Ask me how I know.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #15

I’m afraid to ask. It was black spots in the insulation to be more clear and to before you tell me how you know will it matter that I have an aluminum frame and it’s < 2 years old. Ok now please tell me how you know ?
Old 04-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #16

Exactly what I need ... somewhere to start looking. This forum has been so helpful already by telling me to cut the darn underbelly open to begin with I really appreciate these ideas. Any ideas to look from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jv112602 View Post
I’m afraid to ask. It was black spots in the insulation to be more clear and to before you tell me how you know will it matter that I have an aluminum frame and it’s < 2 years old. Ok now please tell me how you know ?
Entered the trailer in the spring and found the floor spongy to walk on. Carpenter/shop teacher buddy and I pulled up the vinyl floor and found a large section of the plywood underfloor rotten.
When we pulled up the plywood underfloor, we found the insulation soaked and the floor joists rotten. The vinyl underbelly, while doing a good job keeping mice out, did not allow water to drain.
On further searching, we found where the leak was, at a window; we pulled the paneling off the wall and found wet insulation there and rotten wood.
We replaced it all.
Trailer was a 5 year old, 36 foot park model with two pull-outs.
I see others in here mention the use of metal framing, which I did not have, but I think it's a great step forward.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #18

Looking for leaks in all the wrong places

Without tearing up the flooring or my hair, the only visibly suspicious thing to my virgin eyes are the storage doors. I have no experience with whether they could be causing the extent of flooding in the underbelly. Perhaps you folks might be able to tell me something. The doors don’t close flush, the weatherstripping on the inside frame is damaged, and there is no caulking that I can see around the outside frame of door. These things I could repair if it’s contributing if not I’ll move to more elaborate leak detection (That guy who shoots his leaf blower in and squirts soapy water is within my technological abilities)- otherwise lost to repair shop. Here are some photos Click image for larger version

Name:	E86A3DA7-4AAC-4879-89F4-C87D7B209A75.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	252513

Name:	0BBF1269-7774-4A63-99CD-5EB45AE4E395.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	252514

Name:	1124B77D-8D82-4CDB-8BFD-C4CDCD8A4BA6.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	252515

Name:	CD8D35A9-7025-4402-94C0-EE564FDEA634.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	252516
Old 04-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #19
Scoundrel

Maybe put some paper towels in those storage areas, close the doors, get out a garden hose and simulate a hard rain shower on your trailer and hope the paper towels get wet. Its hard to be certain from the photos but those storage doors don't look like they're closing like they should.

Good luck and hope this resolves your search...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #20

Underbelly colonoscopy

I put the paper towels in both storage areas and simulated the rain. Nothing in either area and towels bone dry but I did notice pools of water in the bottom of each door where coincidentally the weatherstripping is damaged. There was also evidence of sediment deposit in the areas so this may have occurred previously and while driving in rain (dirty water). I then got a $35 endoscope to look what was going on under the storage area in the underbelly. I found rusty screws in the areas where the wet insulation was found and under the cargo doors. See the picture I took with my new endoscope. Next plan is to replace weatherstripping, make sure doors fit tightly and refit the door and put caulk down in the screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1679B2CC-0FD7-4C68-B7BF-31B3BCF7AA7E.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	252921  

Tags
insulation, underbelly