Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Front Cap Fade

Not wanting to complain about this as I know there are 100s of those on here already.
I do have the problem and now I have three questions:
1. When I get it repainted what should I be looking for in the way of the work that is done - do they strip it, sand it and then repaint. As far as repainting, one coat, multiple coats, what type of paint to insure a long lasting job and no re-occurrence. I have gotten estimates from $900 to $3500 so just wondering what the difference could be. Not looking to sell anytime soon and this unit fits our needs to a Tee. Easy to tow and great for two retired people.
2. What happens if I do nothing, just let the oxidation be there
3. What if I just buy some rustoleum and spray over the oxidized part - brown is not that hard to find and I realize an exact match is not possible but if it worked until I was ready to sell, $7 or $8 bucks might be worth it.

This is on a 2014, Primetime Crusader. Started 1 month after the warranty period was up and just after returning from a 1+month trip in GA, SC, FL so been working on it with 3M for about a year now and while that works for a while, it does not last in this FL sunshine so a different solution is needed.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I do not know about your unit, mine is a '13. I contacted Roger at P.T., and he gave me the actual body-shop paint codes for my paint scheme in the event I needed to paint my cap. If I need paint, I can get it at any well equipped automotive paint shop and have the right color. I have been fortunate to keep mine under a large covered structure. (Solar panel supporting structure). So, no fade for me in AZ.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #3

Thanks, I will contact PT again. they had already promised me complimentary decals.
Just curious is your solar panel and structure something you did or something done by the place where you store it? I have been looking into this for our community after I read a story from Ga Tech alumni who did it for the Ariz Cardinals and the Atlanta Falcons and some other places. Thought it was a great idea.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I built the structure with an original purpose to put up the panels at my house. It is 30x40. The secondary thought, make it high enough to put a trailer under. Since I did not know if it was going to be a fiver or towable, I went higher. Just an aside, my power bills went from over 4K a year in 2011, to under 350 a year since. Cost of the solar? 9,700. Yes, it is very cost effective! Your costs may differ.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote