Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Front Cap of 2016 Sanibel 3701 fading badly

The front cap of my 2016 Sanibel 3701 is fading very badly. Does anyone have any recommendations on what product to apply to at least slow down the fading. At this point, I don't think I'll be able to bring the original color (dark brown) back. Any help is appreciated!
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
The front cap of my 2016 Sanibel 3701 is fading very badly. Does anyone have any recommendations on what product to apply to at least slow down the fading. At this point, I don't think I'll be able to bring the original color (dark brown) back. Any help is appreciated!

There are many many posts about this very issue....do a search on this forum

Unfortunately, nothing works except for a repaint - nothing you apply will be a permanent fix to the fade problem - it may look good for a while but will not last

A full proper repaint of the cap is the only solution

Many manufacturers have the same issue and this has been a well-known problem with the dark colored caps in the past 3-5 years

If you notice, manufacturers have stopped with the dark full caps and have gone back to lighter colors and decals instead
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #3

That's what I figured

Thanks for your response. I was hoping there was another alternative but I guess not.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I was hoping there was another alternative but I guess not.

Sorry it was not good news [emoji20]
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #5

Cheap paint used by the manufacturers to save a buck and screw the new owners. I priced a full repaint and the cost is around $900 in my area, and I can add another $1500 if I want the decals replaced. A huge rip off, but at least it would be done correctly.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

I had the same problem with mine. When I complained to my dealer when I made my appointment for the MV inspection, they asked me to take some pictures and send it to them. Within a week of sending them, I got a call that they contacted FR and made arrangement with a collision place that did RV's to get it repainted. It took about a week and it looks great. The only problem was that FR had backordered the graphics for the cap. It's been a month and none yet. Maybe I'll get some nice graphics for the cap and have them put them on. But at least I have the TT to use in the mean time.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
You may have some luck getting FR to warranty the nose cap. Some have had luck, some have not. In case you don't, here i san idea.

A product called Poli-Glow. They make a kit to polish out the oxidized finish and then coat it with their product. It is not a forever fix but requires a coat or two each year, but no more polishing. Each coat takes me only about 10-15 minutes so it is not time consuming at all.

This is a link to Amazon to the kit but it is available from meany sellers online:

https://www.amazon.com/Poli-Glow-App...ords=poli+glow

Good Luck
Old 08-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #8

I am picking mine up on Sat from the dealer, nose cap has been repainted, I hope they did a good job.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #9

Appreciate the Feedback

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm going to contact FR to see if they will help. If not, I try some of the suggestions and let the group know how it goes.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #10

I have watched videos on YouTube on this issue. Many owners are using zep floor polish/ wax. It's in a 1 gallon container and they were putting all over their RV with a sponge mop. Results looked great for a worn out looking RV. Do yourself a favor and look it up. I was surprised on how well some units turned out.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
I have watched videos on YouTube on this issue. Many owners are using zep floor polish/ wax. It's in a 1 gallon container and they were putting all over their RV with a sponge mop. Results looked great for a worn out looking RV. Do yourself a favor and look it up. I was surprised on how well some units turned out.

Not looking to insult you, but this is NOT a good idea. I live in Florida, in a RV Resort. Many of the folks here are Snowbirds that come for the winter months. Many of them leave there units here year round and have Mobil Detailers come in and wash and wax their RVs each year. Last year one of the regular Detailers came in and was offering a "SPECIAL" wash and ZEP coating on RVs. The results were nice , TILL this summer when the sun baked the RVs. Now these RVs that have sit in the sun all summer are terrible. The ZEP has lifted from the RVs painted surface and is flaking off in pieces the size of quarters. Looks like blistered clearcoat. ZEP is for indoor floor use. Not made to be rained on and baked by the sun. There will soon be many unhappy RV owners when the Snowbirds return this winter. No idea how one would try to remove this mess.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

Appreciate the Feedback

Thanks, it's definitely worth a try. I'll post how it turns out.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, it's definitely worth a try. I'll post how it turns out.

I already know how it will turn out in the long run. Live and learn.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #14

I have the same problem with the front cap fading and have some questions:
1. What happens if you do nothing?
2. If it is repainted, what is the process for this? When I have it done in a few weeks what should I expect them to do - sand it down to the bare fiberglass and then paint, or what. I just want to get it done right and know what I should be asking - I have estimates from $950 to $3500 for the same job.
3. What if I just buy some brown rustoleum paint and spray it myself - it will not match exactly but will that work?
Thanks for the help
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanibel