Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

Frustrated Water Leak.

2008 831RLSS FlagStaff
Continue to have leak coming out below front bedroom window at the head of the bed. Any suggestions where this may be coming in from. Have done all the normal routine caulking and sealing but still comes in. Only solution I've come up with is a 10 x 12 tarp over the front cap. Hate to pull front window out. Don't want to find anything upsetting.
1st SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Water can do crazy things. We had a leak in our Rockwood 2306 in a front passenger side cabinet. I searched and searched for the leak and did the same.. Re-caulked and caulked. Finally found the leak after sitting on the roof with a hose. Turns out it was coming from a pin hole in the caulking around a gutter screw 10 feet away in the midship area of the TT.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Gonna try again when heat temp drops some. Sorta tired of cleaning off caulk and reapplying. What about Flex Seal. Did you ever try it.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
GLCM Warrior

We found on our recent trip to Canada that we have a leak somewhere around the front cap on our 5'er too. When hooking up after we had experienced some heavy rains while parked, water came out of the underside of the overhang area.

I think I've traced the source to a bad caulk job around the screw cover cap between the front cap and the sidewall. I still need to do some additional inspection around where the gutters meet the cap but I'm hoping it is just the bad caulk job.

Any suggestions on what type caulk to use to reseal this spot? It appears the factory used some type of clear silicone. I have a tube of window and door caulk for use around the house but I'm not sure how well it would perform on the RV.

Hope you can locate your problem soon and get it repaired as well!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #5

It is very doubtful the (Factory) used (Silicone)! They avoid using it on the Assy Line! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #6

Agree with youroo.. Factories frown on using Silicone on these trailers. I've used flex seal in the past and find i need to dip my fingers in mineral spirits to get a nice bead going but overall it dries clear and is suppose to last awhile. I used this on the sides of the trailer around the windows, doors, ect. For the roof, I went with Eterna Bond Tape to cover all existing caulking so I don't have to worry about it year after year. Hope this helps...
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

Another possible water leak location is the running/marker lights on the unit. I had this problem with my previous tt. The light base was not properly sealed and the water came in the wire hole.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

I do use silicone because of its flexibilty. I would think this is better than regular house window caulk.

Tags
leak, water, water leak