Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #21

fabricate a small "water shed" to install above the holes shielding them from rain-water intrusion...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #22

Like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
fabricate a small "water shed" to install above the holes shielding them from rain-water intrusion...
Do you think it might look like the one in post #13 here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2214468
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Wouldn't you have to move it more than a few inches? A little wind from the wrong direction and you're right back where you were.

You would have to remove the stop screws in the channel at the top and get on the roof and tug it. Then drill two new holes in the channel and replace the stop screws. Then unroll it all the way and move the bottom correspondingly. Then hope the awning always rolls up straight because there's no buffer on one side.
You are over thinking moving awning cloth its not that hard to do. you keep it straight by moving both top and bottom. I suspect as little as 1/4 would make a difference in where the water drips from.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #24

Don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You are over thinking moving awning cloth its not that hard to do. you keep it straight by moving both top and bottom. I suspect as little as 1/4 would make a difference in where the water drips from.
I disagree. The intake side is like a strong vacuum cleaner. The stream doesn't have to be dead on target.

And did you ever notice that rain is often accompanied by wind? A breeze along the side of the trailer could easily move the bottom of the stream an inch or two.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #25

If you are going to disagree I recommend you read what the OP actually posted, the problem was no while the unit was running (so no vacuum) it happens when it was shut down and then attempting to start. believe it or not recommendations from other folks are as valid as yours even tho you may not think so. I sort of done with this thread I hope you have a pleasant rest of your day.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
There are only two or three ways to fix this:
1) Fix/change the awning so the stream is somewhere else.
2) Build a vent hood to fit around the vent plate. See my crude drawing.
3) Make a practice of un-leveling the trailer so the vent side is always low; water will run out instead of in.

You could have a sheet metal shop make this up, or make it yourself from aluminum flashing from Lowe's, using a duckbill pliers. The flange at the back fits under the furnace vent. Loosen the vent. Apply butyl tape to the back surfaces of the hood. Slide it down over the vent and re-tighten the vent.

You should not restrict the airflow through the vent in any way.
Vent hood is NOT a good idea. Two openings, one intake and one exhaust cannot mix. Serious repercussions.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Vent hood is NOT a good idea. Two openings, one intake and one exhaust cannot mix. Serious repercussions.
I am thinking a simple L shaped piece of plastic or aluminum flashing, sticking out maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch and caulked (glued) above the ports will divert any water getting into the furnace ports. How about a piece of aluminum foil taped 1 inch above the ports folded outward like a gutter to see if this solves the problem of water intrusion before getting fancy?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #28

Thanks to everybody for there suggestions & opinions. I am going to cover the tt today. So for now I'm just going to cover the intake exhaust holes as best I can. Then cover the whole tt. Its dry right now so. I was thinking of ways to cover the holes through the winter & figure a permanent way in the spring when we open it up. Instead of having the tt level, some suggested to tilt it down so rain & melted snow will be pitched toward the front. Is that a good idea? I was thinking of some type of tape I could cover the holes with? I will be able to take a look in that area throughout the winter as there is a zipper on the tt cover to easily gain access. I will figure the permanent solution later. Thanks to all.
rlgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, water