Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Gel coat & Decal protection

Picking up new Coachmen Freelander 7/13 and want to do what i can to prevent re-ocurance of decal failure we experienced on our 2008.

(Ya I know I should change brands but the floor plan and other features were too close to ideal)

the '08 had complete failure of decals in that the shrunk and cravked into hundreds if not thousands of pieces. Tooh hours and hours and gallons of solvent to get the adhesive off as the vinyl separated from adhesive in addition to cracking such that heat and pulling would onlu remove dime to quarter size pieces at a time.

What can I do to prevent this from occurring again?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Picking up new Coachmen Freelander 7/13 and want to do what i can to prevent re-ocurance of decal failure we experienced on our 2008.

(Ya I know I should change brands but the floor plan and other features were too close to ideal)

the '08 had complete failure of decals in that the shrunk and cravked into hundreds if not thousands of pieces. Tooh hours and hours and gallons of solvent to get the adhesive off as the vinyl separated from adhesive in addition to cracking such that heat and pulling would onlu remove dime to quarter size pieces at a time.

What can I do to prevent this from occurring again?
If your decals are glossy, I use Nufinish Polymer wax. Protects the decals and gel-coat. There is also a product called "Aerospace 303" that is supposedly very good for protecting decals.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
If your decals are glossy, I use Nufinish Polymer wax. Protects the decals and gel-coat. There is also a product called "Aerospace 303" that is supposedly very good for protecting decals.
Samo--samo.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

303 Areospace Protectant
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
WFD

Another vote for Aerospace 303, great product, not cheap, but remember when applying it that more is not better....apply sparingly!