Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
Ted-n-Gwen

Gelcoat dull on front dome of Cedar Creek

The beautiful front dome started losing its shine. I've tried washing, waxing and buffing but nothing worked. Someone told me that First River will replace it for free but that's hard to believe. Does anyone know?
tedstjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstjohn View Post
The beautiful front dome started loading its shine. I've tried washing, waxing and buffing but nothing worked. Someone told me that First River will replace it for free but that's hard to believe. Does anyone know?
Depends on age, but they've replaced hundreds of 'em.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

They have replaced a LOT of the 2013-2014 front caps on Cedar Creeks because of the OEM finish fading rapidly. I had mine repainted (under warranty) by an excellent painter that was well experienced in gel coat finishes. I think he used imron paint or something like it.
I have known of them replacing caps that were out of the normal warranty period but I don't know if they continue to do that.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

My guess is that the higher end the rig the more likely they are to repair. They made more on it, and they probably don't want 100K rigs out there looking nasty but might not worry too much about a 30K rig looking a little dull.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #5

Dustman,
I don't know the brand of rig your have, but, my personal experience with the folks at CC are that they take care of you, regardless the cost of your rig!.

I'm on my second CC because of they way they took care of us with our first one.

Mike
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Rockwood 2715VS owner

We had a Bullet Premier with the same problem. Apparently many manufacturers get their front caps from the same source. In any event, unless it is still under original warranty, be prepared for a fight.
tlparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
DSS

Cedar Creek should take care do your fading end caps. They will pay you to have them painted or if you want to take your trailer to Amish Family RV in Topeka IN they will replace them. Contact Denise Davis at Cedar Creek ( dldavis@forestriverinc.com )
DSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlparris View Post
We had a Bullet Premier with the same problem. Apparently many manufacturers get their front caps from the same source. In any event, unless it is still under original warranty, be prepared for a fight.
I've not heard of a single turn-down from Cedar Creek for fading caps, regardless of age. Mine were replaced, and painted in August.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #9
Charlie & Sue

Due to fading issue my 2015 CC Hathaway had both front and rear caps replaced September 2017 by Amish Family RV, cost covered by Cedar Creek. Our unit was over a year out of warranty.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #10

Our Forest River Tracer --2014 model has the same problem (fading Cap due to Crappy Gel Coat ) Both the dealership (Travel Land RV in Langley- British Columbia and the Trailer Manufacture -Forest River ) have washed their hands with No Solution even though we paid for the extended warranty(which does not cover the fading issue ).We as consumers pay good money on RV's, only to have the problem ignored, probably because there are so many with the same problem, and that cuts into their profit margin. The problem rests with the manufacturer of the cap,s that are supplied to the trailer manufactures. We were told to get the front cap repainted as well, at our cost.

It is very frustrating, to say the least --that this should even be a problem with a trailer that is not even 5 years old.

One solution I have heard about, would be to do a vinyl wrap on the nose cone . Vinyl wraps in recent years have made its way into the Auto Industry and is cheaper than painting.The product stands up very well under the environmental conditions and They can practically match any colour and add any graphic you want .
Sparkyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:54 AM   #11

If anyone needs paint work on there rig look up 551 Custom Gallery LLC, located in eastern Pa. We are a custom shop and will accommodate your RV needs. Check us out on Facebook, Instagram or call 484 223 7197
Shejam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #12

Our 2014 CC29RE was painted here a year after warranty was up..just had to send some pics and my dealer looked after the rest...I am more than happy with CC/my dealer and would buy another one some day.....Jim
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
The beautiful front dome started losing its shine. I've tried washing, waxing and buffing but nothing worked. Someone told me that First River will replace it for free but that's hard to believe. Does anyone know?
We have a 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE purchased in 2015. We haven't had any problems with the front cap until earlier this year. We tried everything on it, but it didn't help. In April, 2018, we contacted Shawna Short (260.593.4000 Ext 20321) at Cedar Creek Division in Indiana. She said we could go to a local RV FR service center here in PA to have it repainted, and they would provide assistance to the costs. However, from our previous experiences, we knew that to bring it in to a local RV service, they would have our Silverback for two months. We asked Shawna if we could bring it to their service center in Indiana to have it repaired, but she said they were booked up until 2019. She referred us to Orvan Fry at Amish Family RV Service (260.593.0951) in Topeka, Indiana. Mr. Fry use to work for Cedar Creek, retired and opened his own CC RV Service. We made an appointment for July 13th, which he said would take only one day to repair the front cap. It was the most wonderful experience we have had taking our RV in for repairs. He not only replaced the front cap, but he fixed a number of things on our Silverback that we didn't even know were an issue...and all in one day...and didn't cost us anything. He is unbelievable and amazing. I would not hesitate to travel to the Amish Family RV Service for any repairs in the future.
JoLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #14

They did not even reply to my complaint about our 2014 Solar Palomino Eclipse when it went for crap. Not a whisper after 3 e-mails. Kinda thought they would not do anything until I saw this.
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlparris View Post

We had a 2014 with the same issue. We made the mistake and covered our trailer over the winter and missed the warranty. They offered $1k towards a paint job that was quoted $3500-$5000..

We since traded it in on our current trailer and are much happier. Seems 2013-2014 was a bad time for front Gelcoats of many manufacturers..
Old 10-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #16

Quote:
2015 Wildcat Maxx 262, had front cap replaced in 2017, today noticed it is starting to oxidize again! After a big hassle to get it replaced first time, I give up ... I am sure I'm not the only one asked, but everybody that sees my fifth wheel asks me what brand it is and what the hell is happening to my front cap, my question is why replace a bad cap with another bad cap Forest River?
pokechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokechop View Post
2015 Wildcat Maxx 262, had front cap replaced in 2017, today noticed it is starting to oxidize again! After a big hassle to get it replaced first time, I give up ... I am sure I'm not the only one asked, but everybody that sees my fifth wheel asks me what brand it is and what the hell is happening to my front cap, my question is why replace a bad cap with another bad cap Forest River?
I have a 2015 Wildcat Maxx F282RKX and the cap faded within a year. FR said they would cover the cost to replace the cap and I said no. They gave me the money thru the dealer and had it painted. Still looks like new!!
keizer_or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #18

I'm my opinion replacing the front cap there's no guaranty the new one won't do the same thing, it's the process the cap manufacturers are using, its very cheap, if you choose to have your cap repainted by a professional that uses quality materials then your cap will always look like new. Just a little info...imo
Shejam28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek