Old 10-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #1

General purpose Caulking/sealant Proflex or Dicor?

I currently use Geocel Proflex RV for all my sealing/caulking needed inside and out of the trailer. I use Dicor ONLY for roof sealing.

One of my FROG mates who is equally retentive on caulking/sealing tells me he uses DICOR lap sealant for all of his generic caulking needs. He notes that it tools easily after application and remains flexible.

I would like your feedback on what your sealant of choice is for general purpose caulking/sealing.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Brake is on left

You and I are on the same path. I am a fan of the Geocell for general use myself. My thing is I need to find something that comes in Gray color for an area on the trailer. Geocell does not offer that color but Sikaflex does. Need it to work with fiberglass gelcoat (work & play toy hauler).
So far as the lap sealant goes, I dont know that I would use it on anything other than a horizontal surface. It is pretty thin in consistency.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #3

Dicor lap seal IMHO is only good for sealing areas that don't see a lot of flex.

For Windows, doors, trim, flashing, etc the only thing I use is Pro-Flex RV in clear.

I did my whole camper with Dicor and had to scrape it all off after my first trip. It cracked everywhere. The only place I didn't have to re-do it was the stove vent.

I have a tube but it'll probably turn to dust before I use it again.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #4

Proflex Clear for the sides and Dicor self leveling in tan for the roof features
jeff64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I currently use Geocel Proflex RV for all my sealing/caulking needed inside and out of the trailer. I use Dicor ONLY for roof sealing.

One of my FROG mates who is equally retentive on caulking/sealing tells me he uses DICOR lap sealant for all of his generic caulking needs. He notes that it tools easily after application and remains flexible.

I would like your feedback on what your sealant of choice is for general purpose caulking/sealing.
I have to be honest I have used flexseal or flex shot from Lowe’s that’s what they advertise on TV I have had very good luck with that on my camper for sealing up sides For items that have holes like city water connection TV mounts and then I’ve used it on the roof where the roof material laps over behind the gutter I put a nice beat o’clock on their stays flexible works really good
GodsGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #6

Will this work for sealing gutter butt joints ? Mine leak and cause black streaks.
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
So far as the lap sealant goes, I dont know that I would use it on anything other than a horizontal surface. It is pretty thin in consistency.

Lap sealants are available in two types. Self Leveling (runny) or Non-Sag (for vertical surfaces).

Each has their proper application.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Lap sealants are available in two types. Self Leveling (runny) or Non-Sag (for vertical surfaces).

Each has their proper application.

Thanks will try it.
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, seal