Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #1

Good idea or not--cardboard inserts to block sun?

Our FR motor home has four roof vents.

Should I cut cardboard pieces 13" X 13" and insert upward into each to further block heat and intense sunlight?

Here in central Florida(the middle), temps are already at 90 degrees. We keep these closed so as not to let hot air in.

I am wondering if I should further block sunlight and heat by making cardboard inserts and installing into vent openings in BR, shower, toilet room and LR

What do you think? Helpful or not helpful? Should I do or not?

Thanks in advance. I love this forum.....even though most of us must remain parked. Stay safe

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	226447  
Lexington 283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Cardboard will help by creating an air gap, but these would be better: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat.../dp/B0024E6QX0
We really like them for blocking the light and the heat.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #3

Thanks NMWildcat

I went ahead and bought em per your tip. Thanks man

Jerry
Old 04-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington 283 View Post
I went ahead and bought em per your tip. Thanks man

Jerry
Congrats and enjoy! They really do help in the summer heat, and for sleeping late in the mornings. Also very easily removed and inserted when you wish to use the vent.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:50 AM   #5

Thanks again. These will help a lot as my wife hates light shining anywhere while she sleeps and, as you said, will def reduce HEAT. I should have maybe on April 14. BTW here's what my interior looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1178.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	226468  
Old 04-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #6

I have them also, and another nice thing about them is they reduce the sound coming through the vent. I have a vent right above the bed, and it is pretty loud when it is raining. These really reduce that noise.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #7

I was lucky and came across some sheets fo 2" expanded polyethylene foam at the shop. Cuts easily with a pocketknife. The price was right too
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #8

The cushions are convenient for blocking the vent in the bath but I've never found one to fit the larger skylight over the shower. Anyone seen these?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The cushions are convenient for blocking the vent in the bath but I've never found one to fit the larger skylight over the shower. Anyone seen these?
If you come across a piece of the foam I described, you'll have it made. You can use a pair of those camco adjustable length spring loaded cabinet/refrigerator dividers to hold the pad in place.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Duo Form "RV Skylight Shade" with Thermo Shield! Looks Factory and Blocks Mr Sun! Youroo!!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
For ours, I removed the inner skylight bubble and taped that solar screen cloth over it, the kind you use on house windows in the SW. Doesn't block the light, but drastically reduces the heat. Also, as it is above the inner skylight, moisture doesn't affect it.
When it gets over a hundred, I have cut a piece of Reflectix for the opening and attached it with Velcro command strips. Easy to remove when using the shower.
Our large skylight in the living area actually has a shade that you can draw across it. But I still used the solar cloth on the inner skylight and Reflectix when it's really hot.
If it was up to me, I'd permanently cover/remove all the non-vent skylights. But Liz likes the light when it's not so warm
Old 04-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #12

Cardboard to block heat

I went to Lowe’s and bought insulation. It comes in a big roll
The silver stuff like window screens are made of. It’s not as sturdy but very reasonable. I cut it to fit all my big windows and vents.
Marjoriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #13

We also live in Central FL. Been camping for 30 years. We only have one skylight that we cover with reflective material. I got it from a local pet store for free. Apparently, fish tanks are shipped in it. It fits our skylight perfectly. We also put cardboard in all our windows in front of the blinds. It’s amazing how much the cardboard has faded over the years. We also crack all our cabinets doors open to allow air circulation. We open up our camper almost every day to allow heat to escape. Been doing this for 13 years with no problems (had a pop up for 17 years). However, we are fortunate to be able to park our camper in our driveway.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #14

Great options--Thanks all

I will soon push up 3 commercial (14" X 14") inserts to block FL sunlight and HEAT. Less than $30 shipped.......a good deal.

For larger shower opening, I cut a piece of cardboard (12" X 20") and this works but I think I can do better with strofoam, so I'll be searching for a piece to cut and install. Too much heat comes into parked/stored unit.

Thanks for so many good ideas and suggestions everyone

Jerry
Old 04-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #15

Bought a roll of reflectix and cut it to fit the windows and skylight in the shower. I don't have any vents in the bedroom but one in the attached bathroom with a Max Air fan I leave open and running when hot. The showers non-vented skylight can make that bathroom like a sauna if it's 90+ so it gets reflectix unless we are in the shower. Velco in the four corners and in the center keep it in place.

I only use it when it's 85+ as a high temp and generally just the shower and the windows on the mornings sun side of the camper. Mid day, I switch the reflectix to the evening sun side. Gives the single 15k btu AC a chance to keep up if we are not parked in shade. If we are shaded, I obviously don't bother.

We use the bedroom ones year round until we get up to keep it dark for sleeping.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #16

For skylights I use artist white foam core boards that I cut to size witg with an exacto knife. They are available at art and office supply stores in various sizes and thicknesses. I also have a large one that I use for my dining table window. I use it for black out purposes and to keep the heat out or in. I store it up on the bunk during the day.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #17

Vent

I also use the Camco insulation cube. Makes difference in hot or cold,. They are a bargain and stay in.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #18

We have pillows in the roof sky lights too.

You gain heat through the roof but you also gain it through your side and rear windows.

We bought a roll of this double bubble foil insulation. I cut it to fit in the windows. If you measure and are careful you can get it to fit snug with no need for tape or any adhesive (might not stay in while traveling though, but ours does in the 5er).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FK7MF9V...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It also will help keep the light out for DW in the bedroom.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:51 AM   #19

Got it squared away......I think

Got three Camco 14 X 14 pieces to push into openings

And neighbor gave me a roll of reflective stuff to cut to size of shower skylight 12 X 20

As someone suggested, I think I can secure shower with 4 corner and 1 center velcro tape. But, am wondering if this will hold up with 92 record central heat expected today, Easter Sunday.

Have a great Easter everyone......and stay protected.

Jerry
Old 04-12-2020, 06:06 AM   #20

Parked 20 miles from our fav FL State Park

Bought our motor home just before virus

I guess most of us will stay parked for awhile

Sure wish FL State Park (60 sites) Kissimmee River in Lake Wales FL will reopen soon. Ever been here? In the middle of nowhere.....just the way we like it

Just dreaming

Tags
lock