Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #1

Grey Wolf Ceiling wrinkling

I wasn't sure where to post this. This was closest match.

Has anybody had a problem with their ceiling wrinkling up at the edges exposing the wood underneath? If so, how to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675[1].jpg
Views:	184
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	181965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0676[1].jpg
Views:	155
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	181966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0677[1].jpg
Views:	157
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	181967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0678[1].jpg
Views:	121
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	181968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679[1].jpg
Views:	158
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	181969  

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #2

I have a 2013 Flagstaff 29RLSS. The wrinkling is also occurring on my ceiling. The area is above the slide out ands follows the slide. It appears the wall above the slide out is flexing and causing a shift in the wall ceiling covering. I have as yet to identify a viable repair solution. Keep posting your issue if you have a successful repair!
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:19 PM   #3

We have a Wildwood TT that did the same thing right above the slide out come to find out the top slide out seal
needed to be resealed.used Geocel proflex to reseal problem fixed.
Gdub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:16 AM   #4

I have no slides so it can't be a slide seal. Roof looks good, heavy rains all day yesterday so I looked at it last night and couldn't feel any water or dampness. I looked at roof when it was first noticed and roof looks good. I'm thinking poor insulation and direct sunlight over heated it.

I'll leave it until this winter and be educating myself on how to remove the roof panels, unless I get a 26RR before then.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 08-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #5

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
I have no slides so it can't be a slide seal. Roof looks good, heavy rains all day yesterday so I looked at it last night and couldn't feel any water or dampness. I looked at roof when it was first noticed and roof looks good. I'm thinking poor insulation and direct sunlight over heated it.

I'll leave it until this winter and be educating myself on how to remove the roof panels, unless I get a 26RR before then.
I've seen the problem in non-slide areas. It looks to me like when the ceiling panel was originally installed, the plastic "skin" was pulled free and wrinkled as the panel was inserted into the tight molding. I am tempted to use two broad dull putty knives, one to stretch the molding open next to the buckled plastic and the other to ease the plastic into the molding.

I thought of using the heat gun to assist but decided it would shrink the plastic which would not help the situation.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I've seen the problem in non-slide areas. It looks to me like when the ceiling panel was originally installed, the plastic "skin" was pulled free and wrinkled as the panel was inserted into the tight molding. I am tempted to use two broad dull putty knives, one to stretch the molding open next to the buckled plastic and the other to ease the plastic into the molding.

I thought of using the heat gun to assist but decided it would shrink the plastic which would not help the situation.

Larry
Sounds like an excellent idea. I have access to plastic sealant scrapers I might try. I also was thinking of a heat gun but you might be right and I don't want to find out the hard way.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 08-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #7

Noticed a small spot where a galley cupboard meets the ceiling in our Mini Lite. Not sure, could have been there from day 1 and I just missed it. Wrinkled, but not loose or pulled away.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
Sounds like an excellent idea. I have access to plastic sealant scrapers I might try. I also was thinking of a heat gun but you might be right and I don't want to find out the hard way.
I had a Rockwood that had the wrinkled ceiling and it was from when the attached the molding and with time and heat the plastic liner moved, by using a heat gun VERY carefully you can soften the glue and the the ceiling film then by using the plastic putty knife push the film back under the molding. then just smooth the ceiling film till it cools. This worked for me till we sold the camper, my wife cried when we sold it. but now we have a CC and love it. Good luck
Old 08-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #9

I found the same thing in our Surveyor. I knew it was just lousy installation and left it alone. My thought was it didn't look that bad and since I was the only one that knew about it , no big deal. Also, if I had tried to fix it and made it worse then I would have been more upset.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #10

Yes, that's why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
I found the same thing in our Surveyor. I knew it was just lousy installation and left it alone. My thought was it didn't look that bad and since I was the only one that knew about it , no big deal. Also, if I had tried to fix it and made it worse then I would have been more upset.
Yes, that''s why I haven't attempted to fix mine yet. I couldn't easily get a putty knife between the panel and molding to open it up and didn't want to cut the plastic skin.

I might look for a real thin knife/scraper.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

My Trailcruiser developed that over time - the service tech said it was a sign of water intrusion somewhere; I wasn't convinced that was the answer, even though we did not buy our camper there so he had no reason to give me a CYA answer. But it was time for a re-seal anyway so I had that done and it never happened again.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
My Trailcruiser developed that over time - the service tech said it was a sign of water intrusion somewhere; I wasn't convinced that was the answer, even though we did not buy our camper there so he had no reason to give me a CYA answer. But it was time for a re-seal anyway so I had that done and it never happened again.
No leaks on mine, already checked out. I believe others are correct, just poorly installed.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR

Tags
grey wolf