Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

Smile Has anyone else done this?

After using Flexseal for many purposes a couple years ago I decided that instead of using self leveling dicor to repair cracks in the seals on my roof I would use Flexseal on a couple small areas as a trial. Both areas held up fine requiring no additional touch up or repair for over a year. At that point I decided to do all the seals and joints on the roof with Flexseal. Cleaned all areas well and coated all sealed areas. It has now been another year with no requirement to reseal. I wanted to do what I thought was a very thorough test before putting this on the forum.
Barry11405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #2

Did you apply the Flexseal tape or the liquid/caulk?
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #3

Flexseal instead of dicor

I used the liquid in the can. Taped off areas to seal and it provided nice straight lines on the edges.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:50 AM   #4

This is something I was thinking about. What type of roof do you have: EPDM or TPO? I had contacted Alpha Systems, who makes my TPO roof, about using a liquid rubber "paint" type product like Dicor, Hengs, Flex Seal,.... They said they did not think the liquid EPDM roofing would properly stick to the TPO membrane. I believe all those liquid rubber roofing products are EPDM based. Maybe not the Flex seal.

Anyway, what color did you use? How thick/many coats? I see your in Florida so the original patches have lasted ~3 years of intense sun?

Thanks
Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Flyboy1950

Interesting... did you paint it over the Dicor delf-leveling caulk already there? If it lasts longer, I'm all for that, as long as it is compatible with my roof. How can I tell which type of roof I have?
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

Can you post pictures?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman View Post
Interesting... did you paint it over the Dicor delf-leveling caulk already there? If it lasts longer, I'm all for that, as long as it is compatible with my roof. How can I tell which type of roof I have?
To determine roof type they (the internet) suggest that you go find a vent or something cut through the roof. I think they usually suggest the basic non powered vent in the bedroom. Take the inside trim piece off and look at the roofing material thats usually stuffed down the sides. If its the same color on both sides, its TPO. If its white on top and black on the bottom its EPDM.

Or get lucky like me and fine the stack of user manuals under you Murphy bed and find the "how to care for you Alpha Systems TPO roof" brochure.

Jim M.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #8

Sticking well

Hi Jim,
Mine is TPO. The flexseal is adhering well. Even the original test seals are still doing well. Flexseal seems to stick to just about anything.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #9

Thats good to know. Searching here seems to turn up mostly negative feelings on Flex Seal. But many of those seem to be using the spray on stuff. I've used the white paint Flex Seal to cover up the exposed back wall of a fireplace. I had to cover stone, cement, plywood, great stuff foam,..... I painted on 2 heavy coats and its been good for several years now. OK, not an RV roof, but it seemed tough.

Come back in a year or so and let us know if its still going strong.

Jim M.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #10

I cleaned up some of the dicor that had high spots or was cracked or loose. Then ran tape down both sides of seam and put a fairly heavy coat of flexseal over dicor and seam. Peeled off tape before flexseal dried and had a nice smooth line. TPO roof is same color on both sides and other is white on top bkack on bottom.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #11

Yes when I get a moment I will take a few and post them.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #12

Under recommended uses on their product site it states TPO and EPDM .
https://www.flexsealproducts.com/pro...xoCA6sQAvD_BwE

Recommended surfaces:

Concrete
Glass
Brick
Stucco
Masonry
Wood
Copper
Plastic
Tile
Fabrics
Wires
Vinyl
Fiberglass
Ceramic
Porcelain
Metal
Aluminum
Natural stones
Foam
Asphalt
EIFS
TPO
PVC
EPDM
CSPE
Hypalon polyurethanes
Old 11-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #13

I know they said RV roofs in the literature I've seen, I didn't realize they got so specific. I like the Flex seal for this because I only need a little bit. So buying an over priced 16 oz can for $15 is better than dropping $80+ for a gallon than may never get used. I also wanted black because this is to cover part of a TV antenna which is black and can be seen from the ground. Normally I wouldn't care, but the white sealant on it just screams "look, I've been patched"

Jim M.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #14

Following . . .