Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #1

HELP if any one can.

ok I got a 1997 23 foot Rockwood Camper.. I got a deal I am new to campers.. last camper I had was a pop-up camper and that was 20 years ago when I was a kid.. when I got it.. the guy told me that he just found a leak of an old Patch that was put by owner before Now after I paid for the camper I finally did a fill inspection of it.. and noticed that the roof from the AC unit to the front of the camper is rotted under the rubber roof. and one panel is rotten in the camper.. I am in need to figure out what the beams are made of and what to use for the out side under the rubber roof.. and next can I reuse the rubber roof.. I seen a YouTube video that one guy did.. with a contact cement. also what do I need to get the Job 100% done.. any help would be Great.. now looking at the roof.. it done look bad just where the patch is.. it is sunk in at the patch.. any ideas would be GREAT..

John & Eyvonn Damron

1997 Rockwood T2306
Damrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Can you post some pictures? Sounds like you may need to enlarge the opening?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #3

ok finally got a warm day

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Can you post some pictures? Sounds like you may need to enlarge the opening?
Hey all ok I just got a warm day.. this is what I have was able to get up on a latter today and the patch was barely hanging on.. so I lifted it up and was able to see under it.. roof is rotted out 1/2 the way down the camper.. What size wood should I use for it? 5.00 4'x8' underlayment? or something else? also I see that my beams are aluminum so that is a plus for my.. that means no beams to replace.. also can I use the old rubber roof. with the patch till I get the funds to replace with a new one like next year? I hope that I can use the old one.. what I was thinking was this use the Old one and then adding a liquid rubber on top of the old one.. so I know it will be sealed 100%.. and one have any ideas on this if it will be ok or not... please let me know soon.

1997 Rockwood T2306
Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

one other question.. was can you use the liquid rubber on the Actual wood? or do you have to have it on the rubber rolled roof. that is the worst case if I cant save the rubber roof.. because if the rubber roof is not salvageable then I was try to see if I can put the EPDM liquid rubber on the Plywood its self...

1997 Rockwood T2306
Old 05-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Hope it was a real good deal; water damage is never a cheap repair.

I would try to find a good carpenter who specializes in RV repair and get a quote. Best of luck.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #6

it was a good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Hope it was a real good deal; water damage is never a cheap repair.

I would try to find a good carpenter who specializes in RV repair and get a quote. Best of luck.
Well it was a good Deal I got the camper.. for 800.00 did not know the water damage was that bad till I got it home.. but it is what it is now I just have to work on it to get it back to camping able.. other then that it is a really Nice camper.. our first also. so I am hoping I can fix it as for someone that can do camper work I don't know anyone other then a Camper store that does repairs and I know they are going to charge a Arm and leg.. so me being retired that is out of the question.. I have a couple people willing to help me out labor wise.. but just trying to figure everything out.. and how to do it cheap as possible..

1997 Rockwood T2306
Old 05-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

John,

This guy basically rebuilt a FEMA camper from scratch.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ler-12391.html

Unfortunately he linked his photos from Photobucket and they were subsequently deleted. Maybe you can email him and he will send you the photos.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote