Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

How do you track down an external water leak?

Just before our first trip last week, I brought home the trailer to get it ready. I noticed the lino in the storage compartment of our 2008 8314SS Rock-Wood Signature Ultra lite was bubbling from water damage under it. The wood was very spongy in spots on both sides. After the trip, I removed 2 layers of Luan where I can now see the foam and frame supports the run from one side of the trailer to the other. When I crawl under the trailer, the flooring seems solid when I push up on it in different spots.

How do you search for leaks?

I started by working from the bottom up and from side to side.

Any other suggestions?
traveltrailerrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

Check the roof for splits in caulking, around where roof meets the front cap. Vents or other protrusion through roof. Camper 10 years old, I would go to the roof and inspect. Once satisfied, take a water hose up there and wet roof in sections. Have someone watch where you found damage. If it get wet, keep looking .
I wish you luck, and use etrnabound tape for repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180626-182435.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	177378  
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #3

I do go up and inspect everything before each trip. I also use a cover ever since I purchased the trailer 4 years ago except it tore up some time in March where it was exposed to the elements until 3 weeks ago when I was able to get a new cover on it.

I did use dicor self-leveling caulk just before I left last week and caulked up suspected cracks.

We just had a down pour and no leaks but tomorrow I will continue to water sections at a time to see if any water is getting in and hopefully where its coming in.
traveltrailerrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
Carknocker Family

Maybe you fixed it, also look at caulking around windows and doors and look for suspect spots.

Ours leaked at stove vent brand new. Bad caulk job, worse now that dealer tech fixed it. The caulk job, not the leak.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak