Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

How should I repair this?

After heavy rain here the last couple days I figured I should go out and inspect my TT inside and out. It's parked on a slab in the backyard.

I found that some trim (at least I think that's what it would be called) is bowed out. It apparently snaps into some tracking that runs the length of the roofline just below where the rubber roof is caulked.

I can't just snap it back into place. It's as if there's been some contraction of the TT causing the trim to pop out of place. I think I'd have to cut some of the trim (maybe 1/2" to 1") in order for it for fit back in place.

Any recommendations as to what I should do to repair this?

Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	128523   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	128524  
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

Start at a end and pull on it and tuck it back in,if to long trim to fit! Youroo!!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
Site Team

It's just cosmetic trim to cover the screw heads holding the channel on.

It could have been installed too long to begin with and the changes in weather caused it to 'pop' out of the channel, or it could have 'crawled' in the channel.

Look at the ends of the channel and see it still looks flush with the ends. If so, you have two choices to fix it. 1) push (or pull) it along the channel until it will seat back in place, or 2) cut a small section out of it at the bulge and put it back in place. You can caulk the crack between the pieces if you want, but it's not critical to do so.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #4

Sounds like a great idea! Will try that!

While we're at it....any thoughts on Eternabond to tape the entire length of the roof seam?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
Site Team

I like Eternabond tape a lot. I think it'd be a good idea to cover all the 'seams' on the roof as preventative maintenance.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I like Eternabond tape a lot. I think it'd be a good idea to cover all the 'seams' on the roof as preventative maintenance.
So...with Eternabond...would I be covering the roof seam with some tape on the rubber roof and the other side covering this trim? Or...would I remove the trim altogether and tape to the channel that held it?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
2012 Solera

Good ideas to fix the trim - I would also suggest wait for warm, sunny weather. That plastic will be much easier to manipulate when it warms up.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #8

Do NOT cut the trim in the location of the "Pop Out" this trim is to be one piece not Joined with Tape! Youroo!!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
padcarroll

X2, do not cut at bulge. Wait until it warms up and work it back I to the channel. Only trim at the end. If you must do it now, use a hair dryer to warm up the rubber to avoid cracking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
After heavy rain here the last couple days I figured I should go out and inspect my TT inside and out. It's parked on a slab in the backyard.

I found that some trim (at least I think that's what it would be called) is bowed out. It apparently snaps into some tracking that runs the length of the roofline just below where the rubber roof is caulked.

I can't just snap it back into place. It's as if there's been some contraction of the TT causing the trim to pop out of place. I think I'd have to cut some of the trim (maybe 1/2" to 1") in order for it for fit back in place.

Any recommendations as to what I should do to repair this?

Pics attached.
You can buy that on Amazon and it is just a plastic filler that covers the screw heads as stated before. If you start (as stated) at the end and pull it out try to warm it up before reinstalling it. It will be more pliable and pop right back into place. But you can get it on Amazon rather inexpensive.
johns3962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #11

Ours did the same thing. Had the camper in for a broken window(that's another whole story) and had them replace that whole piece. Had tried pulling it back into shape but it eased back out again. The trim wasn't very expensive and can be purchased but I forgot where I saw it
sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Do NOT cut the trim in the location of the "Pop Out" this trim is to be one piece not Joined with Tape! Youroo!!
what he said...
you can use a hair dryer or wail for a bit warmer day and remove it (the trim) on one side of the popped out location to the end. it is probably doubled back under the end and held in place with a screw and caulking.
take a hair dryer on low temp and get rid of ice that may be there and then slowly re-feed the trim into the upper track side 6 or 8 inches long. then gently apply pressure between thumb and the top track pressing the bottom into its track.
I redid my trim on the 35 foot 5th wheel last fall and it took no time. just be careful using the ladder and do not fall off.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
what he said...
It is probably doubled back under the end and held in place with a screw and .
What he said.^^^^^ Some of mine shrink during cold weather but the ends shorten instead of popping out. Check the ends, If they have screws remove one and pull on the end as you push the bulge back end.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #14

I had that same trim piece bulge out of the track. Not nearly as bad as yours is bulging, turned out to be a screw backed out and pushed the trim out. You might want to check for a screw in that area.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #15

Sometimes the snap in can be stretched when initially installing. This slightly reduces the cross section, making it easier to install....BUT the insert will eventually shrink back to it's original unstretched length. Sometimes to prevent this reshrinking they will ADD a couple of inches. Then to install, they butt the ends and push/roll the insert TOWARDS the butt joint. This is compressing the insert slightly, putting the insert in compression rather than in tension and in essence trying to keep the butt joint together.

Good luck.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #16

I replaced all the trim cover inserts on my 2013 Flagstaff after the OEM stuff developed excessive horizontal cracks. I ordered from Amazon & went with the heavy duty version. As stated by others, it is much easier to work with when the outdoor temperature is warmer.
rac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #17

I have the same stuff covering the sides of the front cap. On our trip down to Disneyland last July it hot hot enough that the wind moving down the highway blew it out of the track. Kinda freaked me out to look in the mirror and see this black tape like stuff flapping on the side of the trailer. As soon as I stopped and looked at it is knew what it was for. It was so soft in the heat that there was no point in trying to reinstall so I took it off and when we got home in cooler weather I reinstalled. Added it to the warranty list. When we got it back all they had done was re-screwed the ends and gooped the ends and called it good. I think now that warranty is off this summer I am going to pull it and seal the screws and reinstall. I looked like it is soft enough that water could find its way through the edges when warm rain and I am on the move. Had water force it's way thru screws before and it was not good so I intend to seal anything that looks like a potential rout into the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forest River Forums mobile app
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #18

It may be sealed on the ends and you will have to cut the sealant to get to the ends. Check for cracking. If so you can just replace the whole strip. Getting up and down on the ladder is the hardest part.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #19

So what do you call this piece to buy some new stuff, mine has lots and lots of cracks.
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #20

Google RV vinyl trim

Tags
repair