Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #1

Identifying roof material on Sunseeker

This is my first post and will hopefully be the first of many as I'm excited to restore this RV. My father started this after acquiring cheap. Its roadworthy and I drove it 8 hours first trip. Starting with the overcab leaks.

I've got the overcab exterior removed and started peeling back roof Appears to be a previous repair underneath, note the plywood. Paperwork from previous owner indicated a $3500 roof repair but lacked details. Perhaps this is part of that. The plywood was cupping badly and creating visible protuberances under the roofing. The center wood strip (instead of a full sheet side to side) is bonkers to my mind, althought the luan aftward has the same, so maybe that is factory? The luan/plywood joint doesn't have a beam for screwing so water damage made it cup right up. Remove the foamboard and add a beam(s) or peel back the roof further to find a beam for re-fastening all the underlayment. Should hunt down a schematic showing location of structural elements.

Also, what type of roofing is this? It has a fabric mesh on the back, soft and furry. The top has a stippled texture. Had to use a heat gun at times peeling it. Ultimately that's why I signed up here and such an inviting forum too!
netflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Sunseekers have had a fiberglass roof for the last several years, what year is yours?
2020 Ford Expedition Platinum 4X4 with Heavy Duty Tow Package and 1,524# Payload
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Sunseekers have had a fiberglass roof for the last several years, what year is yours?

Thanks! Its a 2004 (LE) and I will learn how to add this as a sig or adjust my profile to reflect in the column.

Taking this opportunity to add a couple pics:

netflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
Site Team

To add a Signature click on User CP, then Edit Signature on the left hand side of the page. I can't find a 2004 Sunseeker brochure so you may need to call Sunseeker to see what you should have for a roof. Here is a link to their Contact Us webpage. Click on Service.
2020 Ford Expedition Platinum 4X4 with Heavy Duty Tow Package and 1,524# Payload
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the Customer Service link!

Tentatively moving forward, decided I have TPO roofing based on another FRF post from this year (edited for brevity):

"If your roof surface has a texture to it it's most likely TPO....TPO can have a polyester fleece backing to help glue it to a variety of materials."

So, still curious if this is an original roof material. My father replaced both ceiling fans and had the AC out, serviced and re-installed. A quick web search suggests the Dicor Lap Sealant (Self-Leveling) he used on the roofing will be a good match for TPO material. Assuming that Eternabond tape will also be a good match to cover lap sealant, is that right? This is my first RV repair project. ) Back with more pics when I figure out why Google Drive is refusing to cooperate
Old 05-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by netflix View Post
Thanks for the Customer Service link!

Tentatively moving forward, decided I have TPO roofing based on another FRF post from this year (edited for brevity):

"If your roof surface has a texture to it it's most likely TPO....TPO can have a polyester fleece backing to help glue it to a variety of materials."

So, still curious if this is an original roof material. My father replaced both ceiling fans and had the AC out, serviced and re-installed. A quick web search suggests the Dicor Lap Sealant (Self-Leveling) he used on the roofing will be a good match for TPO material. Assuming that Eternabond tape will also be a good match to cover lap sealant, is that right? This is my first RV repair project. ) Back with more pics when I figure out why Google Drive is refusing to cooperate

I concur with the roofing sheet. Since you can see the underside, and it is white and textured, it is TPO. An EPDM Roof is black underneath and white on the topside. I don't think you can go wrong with Dicor and Eternabond products.

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #7

Skip the Dicor, go straight to Eternabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by netflix View Post
You can skip the Dicor and use Eternabond directly on the TPO. It will lay flat and if you use a roller (e.g., an inexpensive wallpaper seam roller), it will get a much more complete contact with the surface.

Maybe Dicor on irregular surfaces (e.g., inside corners) where you have difficulty applying the Eternabond.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
You can skip the Dicor and use Eternabond directly on the TPO. It will lay flat and if you use a roller (e.g., an inexpensive wallpaper seam roller), it will get a much more complete contact with the surface.

Maybe Dicor on irregular surfaces (e.g., inside corners) where you have difficulty applying the Eternabond.

Cleaning the surface before applying Eternabond is the key.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

I appreciate the directed advice. Had a friend help me remove awning brackets to free up the gutter system prior to peeling back the TPO a bit more from the front. Researching lifespan indicates, if this is the original, its nearing the end. I'm contemplating a food truck conversion so I'd like to reseal without a major ($) roof overhaul at this time. Here is a pic of my cleaner, thanks again for the tip!

Tags
roo, roof, sunseeker