Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #1

Installing a Dryer vent??

I've searched these forums and google but I can't seem to find step by step instructions on how to install a dryer vent. I am hoping someone here can help me out. My husband and I have a 2012 Sandpiper 346RET and we just got a washer and dryer. We have the plumbing hookups for the washer but not the vent for the dryer. I have seen a few references of people using masking tape but I am not sure what for? Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to go about cutting the hole for the vent? Thanks so much!
avwbug
avwbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #2

you do need to cut a hole in your side wall for the vent. the masking tape is to protect the finish and prevent tear out from the hole saw.

the path of least resistance and fastest flow is what you want. don't try to route the vent hose in a complicated and restricted path. just easy out to help the exhaust flow fast and away...
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #3

Ok thank you! So we put masking tape on the outside of the trailer where we're going to cut the hole, is it just one layer of tape or should we do a couple? Also do we cut from the outside in or the inside out? I've read both ways online so I just want to make sure we do this right.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #4

i guess that depends on how sure you are of your measuring abilities

also depends on where you have the masking tape and where you start cutting. too much tape on the initial plunge will gum up the cutting edge.

this is very similar to woodworking, except the side walls are bonded materials like fiberglass... so if you are comfortable with that kind of cutting, you will figure it out just fine. you just want to make sure you are not going to blow out the back side of the cut with tear out. sacrificial material to cut into will prevent that. also the outside cover will cover some of that up as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #5

Ok thanks! I have one more question. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow but wondering if you know. In our closet our washer hookups are on the passenger side but there is a sticker on the driver side of the closet that says something along the lines of "before installing dryer vent call the dealership" They didn't put the sticker there to indicate we should install the vent on that side right? It doesn't make sense to me to have the dryer vent go across the whole closet...
Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #6

i think that sticker is there to prevent you from running the vent hose across the inside to the opposite side

definitely call your techs to talk about your plans and get their advise.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #7

yeah I was confused as to why it was on that side! I'll call tomorrow, thanks for your reply
Old 05-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #8

avwbug; Check with your dealer on the location for the dryer vent. Most mfgrs have a pre set location for the dryer vent based on where the framing in the trl walls are located. I wouldn't just start cutting any where not knowing where the wall framing is. I think you could use a stud finder to locate the frame structure so you don't cut thru the trl framing.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #9

It is probally meant to have a separate washer dryer
Brandon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #10

Thank you Lindy I meant to call them today and I ran out of time before they closed. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Brandon we actually bought a separate washer and dryer but there are shelves on the driver side in the closet so a dryer wouldn't even fit over there without breaking the shelves out. They don't just come out on their own....