Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

Is lap seal needed here?

I am getting ready to clean and reapply lap sealer where needed to my RV roof for the first time. I crawled around on the roof today and identified some areas that clearly required sealing. I have a 2016 FR leprechaun 190 QB (Class C).

Two questions:
1. Do I use lap sealer or silicone to seal the area above the running lights on the front of the overhead cabin area?
2. Do I need to seal the trim area at each of the leading edges of the overhead cabin area? They are not currently sealed and go down the left & right edges of the front area of the overhead cabin.

Please see attached pictures.
Running lights: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...7t7h6uoCW_e4Te
Trim areas:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...NND9CM6wz8XBQo
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...HmtUP57dxYU3qd

Thanks for any input you can provide,
George
boomdaddy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Is lap seal needed here?

I am getting ready to clean and reapply lap sealer where needed to my RV roof for the first time. I crawled around on the roof today and identified some areas that clearly required sealing. I have a 2016 FR leprechaun 190 QB (Class C).

Two questions:
1. Do I use lap sealer or silicone to seal the area above the running lights on the front of the overhead cabin area?
2. Do I need to seal the trim area at each of the leading edges of the overhead cabin area? They are not currently sealed and go down the left & right edges of the front area of the overhead cabin.

Running lights:

Trim areas:

***Sorry about missing images earlier - first time using this feature in the forums!***

George
Old 10-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #3

Hey George. To post the images in your message, click the 'go advanced' button at the bottom of the reply box and you will find a place where you can upload files from your computer.

Most people are not going to click a random link, especially if the link requires a google log in to see the pic.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Hey George. To post the images in your message, click the 'go advanced' button at the bottom of the reply box and you will find a place where you can upload files from your computer.

Most people are not going to click a random link, especially if the link requires a google log in to see the pic.
Pictures are properly posted now ... any feedback to my questions?
Old 10-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #5

No they are not posted.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
No they are not posted.
Look at post #2, repeat of #1 with pictures - couldn't figure out how to edit #1.

Do you see it now?
Old 10-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #7

No
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #8

Can not see any image from Post #1 or #2.
When writing a message and adding photos, click on attachments (paper clip at top) to add then find image you wish to send, after that you must download image to the message. It appears initially as separated from your message.
Good Luck! Hope this helps.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #9

Dont use silicon.

Use Dicor self leveling lap sealant on flat seams.
Use Geocel rv sealant on vertical seams
Where they may intersect apply the dicor first let it set up then use the Geocel. Apply Geocel slowly and with a fairly thin bead. Make a heavy solution of Dawn and a little water to trowel the applied bead lightly with your finger.

Clean the flat seams with dicor roof cleaner on a rag then followup with cleaning using denatured alcohol on a rag only, do not pour the denatured alcohol directly on your seams or roof as it's too strong.

Use mineral spirits on a rag to clean vertical seams then use the Geocel.

Dicor has a good youtube video on how to use their self leveling lap sealant.

Personally, I would use the Geocel on your front overhead cab trim pieces. White or clear depending on your taste. Use mineral spirits on a rag to clean them in between caulking as they collect road grime
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Can not see any image from Post #1 or #2.
When writing a message and adding photos, click on attachments (paper clip at top) to add then find image you wish to send, after that you must download image to the message. It appears initially as separated from your message.
Good Luck! Hope this helps.
Running lights on front (question 1):
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9206.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	241023

Trim on left and right side of overhead cabin:

Name:	IMG_9201.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	241024

Name:	IMG_9204.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	459.5 KB
ID:	241025
Old 10-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #11

Now I see your pictures.

I would start with just cleaning those areas especially, maybe the whole roof, with dicor roof cleaner. Your front roof seam has been previously touched up, cleaning will reveal any cracks or pits that need touching up.

Try using a mr clean magic Eraser on your fiberglass if you have any growths on the surface. Getting rid of that will keep your cabover cleaner.

I think I do see evidence of caulk on your overhead trim pieces, those that stretch from the top of the roof over and under your cabover. Just start with cleaning them with mineral spirits on a rag and see how they turn out, that's all you may need.

If Geocel rv sealant was previously used it will come off in strips if you can catch an edge and pull it off slowly. You can put Geocel right over cured Geocel if need be.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #12

I had a leak that traced back to the area as shown in your photos. Where the nosepiece meets the roof. I bought mine used and the sealant had been piled on many times similar to yours. I talked with Coachman Factory Service and upon their recommendation, I cleaned all of the caulking off and cleaned to bared fiberglass on the nose and bare membrane of the roof. I checked and secured the screws across the top and down both sides. and the bottom. Note: the sides and bottom had a cover strip over the screws but the top had no cover strip.
I used self-leveling caulk on the top and covered the top of each screw and the front edge and back edge of the aluminum piece spanning the interface between roof and nose. Sealed the vertical side pieces the same with regular caulk. The piece that runs under the nose was only sealed on the front side, giving a place for water to run ou if it does get in.
dustycourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #13

I agree with Chris about doing a good cleaning first, then reevaluate. I put some dicor on my roof this summer and it was pretty easy to do. It probably can't hurt to go around the marker lights.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As mentioned... DO NOT use silicone anywhere around a R/V.

While silicone does a fair job of sealing, if you ever need to touch up a silicone sealant job NOTHING will stick to it, including more silicone.

There are far better products to use. As mentioned Dicor and Alpha both have lap sealants for roofs. Geocel Pro Flex RV or Lexel for the other places.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #15

x2

If you have a power washer, it would be a quicker method and do a good cleaning job, but you need to be careful and not get the nozzle too close to the fabric where it would tear it. If you have used a power washer a few times before you are probably apt enough to use it without doing any damage. Otherwise use the cleaner.

Also you might want to use some Eternabond (put down first before any more sealant) in addition to dicor lap sealant on your roof flat seams, as it looks like you have quite a bit of lap sealant on your front seam already trying to stop a leak.

This is a Eternabond kit I got from Amazon for my TT - https://www.amazon.com/Eternabond-Ro...%2C182&sr=8-22

Good luck.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #16
Jayhawker

I recommend using LEXEL around your clearance lights. I found it at LOWES.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	th.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	241059  
Old 10-12-2020, 11:17 PM   #17

I used a power washer, the water blew through a week seal and damaged the interior wall, DON’T use power washer. , I also found easier to use painters tape when sealing around fixtures, no cleanup necessary, just pull up the tape and nice clean seal lines, no matter what sealing products you use, never silicone sealer. Quad sealer at Home Depot I found good in area that has flexing issues.
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #18

I also got the lexel and haven't used it yet
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #19

Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomdaddy3 View Post

Two questions:

Running lights:

Trim areas:

***Sorry about missing images earlier - first time using this feature in the forums!***

George
By the way, your photos didn't seem to come through.

But any way, you will want to use Dicor type self-leveling sealant for your roof (fiberglass or rubber). Here's a video

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...l&FORM=VIREand

For everything else like seems and joints in the outer walls and around lights, etc., use a mineral spirits based sealer like ProFlex RV sealant or Quad sealant. I would not use silicone anywhere. It breaks down in the sun well and is hard to remove. But don't for get outer wall joints or seams where water can seep in and get into your inner plywood structures. I just learned the hard way by allowing the seams in my slide outer walls to develop small cracks. Over time the water seeped into my slide plywood floors and rotted them out in spots despite the fact that I keep the roof well sealed.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, running lights, seal