Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #1

Keeping trim in track

Just noticed this morning that the vinyl trim had come out of the track on one side of my rig. It's gotten fairly cold up here in the northeast so I'm assuming that it has shrunk somewhat due to the temperature. I didn't have an issue before this because I was always someplace where the temperature was 60 degrees or higher.

What works to keep the trim in the track? A small bead of silicone inside the track then insert the trim or is there a better solution? I can push it back in place but it comes right back out.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

You need to go to an end and pull it completely out and then re-install it making sure you do not stretch it.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
Just noticed this morning that the vinyl trim had come out of the track on one side of my rig. It's gotten fairly cold up here in the northeast so I'm assuming that it has shrunk somewhat due to the temperature. I didn't have an issue before this because I was always someplace where the temperature was 60 degrees or higher.

What works to keep the trim in the track? A small bead of silicone inside the track then insert the trim or is there a better solution? I can push it back in place but it comes right back out.

As Coot says pull one end and reset it. If it ends up too short, you can buy it in roll form and trim to suit, it's inexpensive.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #4

OK thanks. I'll have to start from the top/front as the bottom part is paint matched to the coach body.

Skip & Deb
Old 05-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

FR typically secures both ends of this trim which causes it to pull out of the track when it shrinks, and it will shrink. To prevent it from pulling out of the track, simply remove the screw that secures it at the bottom of the coach. This will allow the trim to float in the track and prevent it from pulling out at the corner as it did in your case. Don't worry, removing the screw will not allow it to fall out as it will still be secured at the top. I have full body paint on mine. Allowing the trim to float up in the track will offset the paint pattern on the trim from that of the coach a bit, but the alternative is to replace it with an unpainted trim, which would look much worse. The slight offset of the paint pattern is really not that noticeable unless you are looking for it. It's certainly preferable to having the trim come out of the track.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Snowsail

I changed half of mine on my FW, I find it slides on better when hot ,so I let the 100 foot role warm up in the sun, then pull it with pointy nose pliers. Before cutting I let it sit for a while to regain it's original shape. then I finish the ends off with calking. Measure the width of the old molding well because you have many different widths that differ by 1/8 of an inch and there are different thicknesses to look out for also. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #7

If you decide to replace the vinyl trim, let it hang down a couple inches at the bottom. As it shrinks, you will have the spare length to work with. As for color match, Rustoleum has paints that would come close to your body paint color. One choice would be the "hammered" brown finish.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

Forester Fred, I have a similar situation at my wheel well trim. I had posted a picture last Winter but never got any comments from anyone so hoping you get some good suggestions.
Mine shrunk when temps began geting into the 20's. Most of our Winter here was mild. When temps started back up this Sping, it got a lot better but still out of the track. My problem is the screw retaining the end is at the very end. I was afraid if I unscrewed it and pushed everything into place, the trim would then be too short to be able to be pinned by the screw again so I have just left it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Well Trim.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	106884  
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
Forester Fred, I have a similar situation at my wheel well trim. I had posted a picture last Winter but never got any comments from anyone so hoping you get some good suggestions.
Mine shrunk when temps began geting into the 20's. Most of our Winter here was mild. When temps started back up this Sping, it got a lot better but still out of the track. My problem is the screw retaining the end is at the very end. I was afraid if I unscrewed it and pushed everything into place, the trim would then be too short to be able to be pinned by the screw again so I have just left it.
The end cap fastened by the screw at the end of the trim looks very neat. But the trim is notorious for shrinking. If the trim is fastened at both ends, it will pull out on an inside curve. On an outside curve or flat run, it will stretch or tear at the fastener. The solution is to have the trim cut oversize so that it can shrink and let it float in the track, not being fastened on the ends.

If you want to use the finish end cap and save the trim, try this: Remove the screw and end cap. Seat the trim back into the track. Cut a slot in the trim from the screw hole to the end of the trim. Reattach the end cap making sure the screw is in the slot you made and make sure the cap does not bind the trim.That should allow the trim to expand/contract without pulling out.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #10

PenJoe, thanks. I'll give that a try. Sebourn
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #11

Penjoe, thanks I like that idea.

Skip & Deb
Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #12

Quote:

Same thing happened to me. Until today I didn't know this was a shared problem or what caused it.

I noticed it last winter and was not able to get it back in. I decided to wait for a warm day. we had a 70º day a few weeks ago and it was much more pliable. I worked it back in with the help of a tool made of plastic.

Now I know to look for that screw at the bottom.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:00 AM   #13

Quote:

That's exactly the way I did it. I think it's probably cosmetic anyway.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #14

My entire trim was painted and the stripes didn't line up. It shrunk when the weather warmed up. I pulled it out and installed new black vinyl trim. I left the bottom screw out so it could move. 25' roll costs $8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	107335   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	107336  
Old 08-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #15

Where can I purchase this trim?
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post

Many RV stores carry it. Bring a sample as different sizes are available.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
Looks like white and black are the choices.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...l+track+insert