Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #21

Thanks guys!
Old 02-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTech View Post
Thanks guys!
No email answer to a simple question. Sigh. Guess I have to call.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:18 PM   #23

Bottom line IMO...is there is NO good use for silicone on a fiberglass roof and there is nothing else clear that anyone would put on. If silicone was used...that's why you have a leak!

Your problem WILL be solved if you simply scrape off the old stuff down to bare fiberglass...use some butyl rubber tape under the base before you screw it back down AND then cover all the base edges with dicor.
It really doesn't matter what some guy at the factory says on this particular issue.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Bottom line IMO...is there is NO good use for silicone on a fiberglass roof and there is nothing else clear that anyone would put on. If silicone was used...that's why you have a leak!

Your problem WILL be solved if you simply scrape off the old stuff down to bare fiberglass...use some butyl rubber tape under the base before you screw it back down AND then cover all the base edges with dicor.
It really doesn't matter what some guy at the factory says on this particular issue.
Kevin Long emailed me the list of sealants used. On the fiberglass roof it indicates Nuflex 311 silicona RV auto niveladora. A silicone self-leveling sealant. It adheres quite well to the clear factory sealant on the roof I cannot identify yet. I don’t want to mix sealants up on the roof.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:44 PM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTech View Post
Kevin Long emailed me the list of sealants used. On the fiberglass roof it indicates Nuflex 311 silicona RV auto niveladora. A silicone self-leveling sealant. It adheres quite well to the clear factory sealant on the roof I cannot identify yet. I don’t want to mix sealants up on the roof.
Interesting!

Reading the manufacturer's web site it says Nuflex 311 is 100% silicone and in the list of things it adheres to is... silicone. (among others including fiberglass and TPO & EDPM)

I sure hope that is true as silicone sealants in the past would stick to many things but not themselves once cured.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:07 PM   #26

NOW we know WHY you had a leak. I think this is a ridiculous choice. Silicone does not keep water out of fiberglass long term...and nothing else will work on top of it. Butyl as described or True Waterproof ADHESIVES for pemanancy are the only things that should be used before the dicor.

311 is 100% silicone.

You may do as you see fit or course and thanks for the info. There is not a spec of that on my rood so it must be a more recent decision. I can tell you that 6 years full time at sea convinced me that silicone is only good on windows/plexiglass where adhesion is not a requirement.... and should never be used on a flat surface that will be inundated with water and baked in the sun.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:34 PM   #27

Given that it is self leveling, I suspect it may be ok to layer more on? Silicon on roofs, and fiberglass roofs themselves, are a whole new world to me. I grew up on Dicor and Eternabond on 6 RV roofs. Plus my digital manual is a mess and says Dicor lol. Godzilla just showed up at the dealer a few days old in November, and we scooped it up. I could let the dealer deal with it, but I fixed my rear facing blind spot radar. They had never seen it before, and I have experience. If you look at RV.net, you can see hitechrv is not a stranger to Class C RVs. Kinda shocking my posts are still stickies there. I just want to fix it, fix it right, and let those who follow do the same.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Time to contact the factory for a recommendation.
BING BING BING!!! We have a winner!!!!
Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #29

You should bring it back and tell them to repair it or replace it cause now that it has gotten water in it it will cause you trouble down the road cause if you have water in one place it is already in the roof in a very large spot and will never be the same cause I had this happen to me and after warranty it cost me 24.000 to fix
Goatspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #30

Dicor does come in clear so maybe that's what's up there.
Odyknuck is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, forest river, leak