Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Leak somewhere on Roof.....

Well, my roof is leaking.

I have found water in the basement several times. I thought it might be leaking shower drain. But nope. It takes a while to isolate because it is clearly now occurring only when it rains.

I got on my roof and inspected. I thought I'd probably find a crack in some caulk around a skylight or vent or something. Everything looked fine. Nonetheless, I sprayed White Rubber Cement around every single thing I could find, on Thursday. I couldn't find a single place that rainwater could POSSIBLY get in.

But it did. It rained last night and same water is back!!! It is so weird. No water on the walls, floor above. It is in the very back of the wall where the sliding door (converter, central vac) is located, right where that wall intersects with the short wall that holds that cloroplast cover to the pipes and water heater area. It is visible best when standing in the bay door to the basement; from there it's to the right. Directly above it is the furnace 'tray' for hot air.

I am at a total loss. The ONLY thing that I can even remotely think, given that it is on the floor ONLY and not running down a wall anywhere, is that the cyclone vent that the dealer installed on bathroom vent, that pipe down, is actually cracked somewhere between roof and floor, and rain water is somehow blowing into that vent and coming out the crack. That's a heck of a stretch but it's almost like magic.........like someone just goes in there and dumps a bucket of water after a rain, and it's nowhere other than right where they dump it on the floor.....in middle of trailer basement floor, not along any exterior wall.

I'd call an RV tech but he can't do anything unless it's raining! And I simply can't see any obvious leaks. Now, it DID rain right in the exact middle of the night last night, so no........I didn't go out there WHEN it is happening. Next rain, per Accuweather, is next Wednesday.......during the day. Maybe I can find it then.

Sorta like Roseann Roseannadanna says, It's Always Something.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #2

Screws in the rain gutters? I always forget to look at those when I'm inspecting the roof.
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
Screws in the rain gutters? I always forget to look at those when I'm inspecting the roof.
Every screw of every vent was clearly covered well, in caulk. BUT, I sprayed every one of them with liquid rubber anyway. Still it leaked somewhere.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #4

What about the door seal for the compartment?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #5

The vent pipe you spoke of. Rather than a crack, it may have an elbow joint that is not glued, hidden inside the wall?
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #6

Joint is possible. Door is not, there's no water anywhere close to the door.

Another oddity. Above the water.......not touching the floor......is a cardboard box. The box is not wet anywhere! If it's dripping down from above anywhere that box would be wet. It's almost as if the water is coming from underneath the floor......raining upside down!!!

It could be coming from aft of the pooling.......but if so, that means everything in that basement would have to come out (In the rain????) and probably remove two walls just to see where it's coming from.

Only thing I can dream up is to wait till it rains during the day and try and get my fat butt up inside there somehow (??) with a light and just watch for where it's coming from. Just can't see how to do that, but can't think of anything else.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #7

RV roof leaking

Might be harder for you to find a service but Infrared is the way that you can detect the exterior leak source.
Fire fighters use it to see through smoke if you happen to know a firefighter. Sometimes insulation services use the technology as well.
You will determine the leak and the extent of saturation.
Quest9914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #8

You may resort to making it rain!
My neighbor here in Florida did just that yesterday. I went out to find him sitting on his RV roof, water hose in hand, spraying the roof trying to make it leak. He has been frustrated by a hard to find leak also. Just sayin......
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #9

I had a roof leak problem on my previous camper. I used this product to completely coat the entire roof:

OneStep Plus | Hot Roofs. Cool Solutions.

This was after using this product in the tube to seal all the roof penetrations and edges:

2100MS Adhesive Sealant | Hot Roofs. Cool Solutions.

It is approved for use on EPDM roof materials and completely sealed the roof.

Before you ask, NO I do not have any affiliation whatsoever to the manufacturer.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #10

Possible roof leaks

We bought a Forrester 2016 in fall 2015 and have made 2 major long West Coast to East Coast round trips, plus all the West Coast travels! Hot hot sun, heavy rain, and snow even during early Fall travels! We don't throw money around but we trust our local Mom and Pop RV Dealer!! We just had them inspect every aspect of the house l(MB did the Sprinter) to include a rodent check! We had them (not me) strip all the roof caulking and replace it with new! Our RV isn't a bus, but it wasn't inexpensive either! It was worth every penny! In places the caulk was coming loose inside out! From the outside it looked fine!! Preventive maintenance (by you or your dealer) is critical in my opinion! It can save you thousands of dollars in unnecessary repairs! We've been doing this for decades! Tent camping and an Apache Pop Up all over the USA and Europe with our 2 now adult daughters wherever stationed! Even two VW Campers! 1 30 years ago and a 1991 Vanagon we had for 5 years fully restored so we could travel far and wide safely and sold 3 years ago! And now our 25 ft Forester MBS! Plus I hate to admit it but I can't crawl around these things like in the "good old days!" That's a safety issue as well! Dan & Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #11

why wait for rain? do you have a water hose that will reach your unit. Isolate areas. hose down a small area and wait a while.... no water... isolate another area.... take your time over a few days and narrow your search area down. Is there any debris or leaves under your AC unit and damning water under it?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #12

Might was to pick up a moisture detector at Lowes

General Tools & Instruments Digital Moisture Meter
Item # 78059 Model # MMD4E
(63 Reviews)

General Tools & Instruments Digital Moisture Meter
$29.98
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Moisture detector.pdf (962.1 KB, 19 views)
grouchmore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #13

Yes....some of you smarter than I am (ok, ok, ok, ALL of you are!).......so tomorrow, a buddy here at the campground is going to help.....and one is going to get inside the basement (Ugh, everything has to come out!) and the other on the roof with a garden hose.

Hopefully that'll find the leak.

And even more hopefully, it won't be totally inaccessible, as I fear it will.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #14

not sure if this has been said ..Check around your running lights !
aupainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #15

run water on your clearance lights, tail lights, and side lights. Run water on your awning and topper attachment points. Run water on your slide seals.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #16

I had a problem with water in the basement as well on my 2016 Silverback 29re. Every so often I would find a puddle in the basement by the street side door. I thought shower drain, shower wall, door seal ect. It ended up being a slow drip from the water hose where it connects to the kitchen faucet. Water just ran down the line. I also discovered a slow leak at the plastic filter cover on the water pump.
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #17

Leak somewhere

We had a similar situation. Never saw any water inside the house. Try resealing under where the AWNING is installed. All of the screws were rusted and some were even missing. Ourissue led to mold problem.
cap2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #18

Check the seams for your end cap. I had a small leak that I couldnít find until I started to replace the caulking on the seams. When I removed the original call I found a screw backed part way out and rusted. It had been leaking for a while but couldnít be seen under the caulking.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #19

Let us know what you find.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
Factory left one gutter screw out.
Rain poured in.
M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof