Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #1

Leaking (in storage compartment)

Anyone know what might be causing this area to leak. Brand new rv.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63C91D19-B6E9-482D-9892-75D7C5DBB973.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	202329
Scissna0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Team

What kind of RV is it?

What lives above that storage compartment?

Has it been out in the rain?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #3

It’s a grey wolf 29 te. The area above is a bunk bed bunk house. I feel like it’s coming from the track on the slide out. It’s been raining hard last couple days. Is that just something I need to be used to when it rains.
Scissna0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #4

Leaking (in storage compartment)

Is the water inside in the storage area or on the outside lip? You just do not want waterin the storage area. That’s what the gasket is for. When u lift up the door after a good rain does water come out of the latch assemblies ? If so, Mine has done that since got it 6 years ago and has not hurt anything. The slam door is made of some material that does not get water damaged.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
clr

Mine leaked also, the fix was simple. Look at the bottom striker for the latch, see if the gasket is missing you folded improperly and that the screws are tight. I used some liquid black electrical tape, because that is what I had on hand. I loosened the screws and then placed the liquid tape below the striker, on each screw and then put this all back together. This worked great to keep the water out of the storage compartment. Make sure that the screws on the latch are also tight when you do this. Has worked for me now for several years.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #6

CLR, I would like to try what you are talking about but I do understand what you mean. It does seem to me like the rainwater gets into the latch assembly somehow and when the slam door is lifted it runs out of the latches. What do you mean by “folded improperly”? My latch assembly looks nothing like the one in the picture. His looks like it’s not a slam door. Looks like On his you close and turn the knob to secure it and one has a keyed lock. my prob is water is prob getting in from top somehow and running down inside the door into the slam door latch assembly. The water never gets into the compartment on mine from the seal and the frame is lower.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
clr

Yes I agree now that the OP picture does not look like a slam bang type door. My post did concern a slam bang type of door, I need to pay better attention. The fold I was talking about is the rubber gasket under the striker on the bottom of the door molding. Mine was folded over on it self and of course not doing a very good job of being a gasket. In my case the water was getting into the handle part on the door when it rained, it would get to the inside of the handle assembly and then run down the inside of the door to the striker plate, then would leak thru the plate and into the storage compartment.
The striker plate is then designed to allow the water to run outside of the unit. But if the striker is bent up or something it will not drain. If you are only getting water within the striker plate after a rain, and not into the compartment then I would say you are good. Just dry the striker with a sponge after a rain.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #8

Wow clr. Thanks for such a great explanation. Yea the cups fill up with water. So I see now. Some way Water gets in through the outside latch and gets into the latch assembly and sits in there and runs into the cups. Some is left in the latch assembly after it rains and when you lift the door it runs out. I guess that is the design and the way it’s suppose to work?? Thanks again for that great explanation.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #9

From your pic it looks like it has all ready been caulked around outside of the frame. I had one leak once because the frame had a seam right in the middle of the top and the gasket met there also leaving just enough of a crack to let water in during heavy rain. Check for any gaps in the gasket around the opening. Hope this helps.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

Been there...done that. Look at the gasket surrounding the frame. It has to have a “joint” somewhere. If that joint is at the top of the opening it will leave (mine did). Replace the gasket and join it at the bottom of the opening. Worked for me.

Here’s a pix of the improper gasket install.

Tags
leak