Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

Low spot on roof

Hi all. I've got a low spot on my roof between the shower skylight and vent. Water is pooling here eventually works it way in. I've got more eternabond on the way and plan to cover the entire pooing area on the next dry day but looking for better ideas.

Please let me know if you've dealt with something similar or what you would do in this situation.

Fortunately, water is flowing across the roofing material into the shower so no permanent damage has been done yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211024_131646.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	264866  
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Hi all. I've got a low spot on my roof between the shower skylight and vent. Water is pooling here eventually works it way in. I've got more eternabond on the way and plan to cover the entire pooing area on the next dry day but looking for better ideas.

Please let me know if you've dealt with something similar or what you would do in this situation.

Fortunately, water is flowing across the roofing material into the shower so no permanent damage has been done yet.
One solution would be to clean the area and fill in with some non-leveling/non-sag sealant. Creat a higher area that forces the water to flow out at either end.

With the water pooled mark the edges of the puddle so you can see the extent of your work area.

Once the sealant has been applied and smoothed as needed applying eternabond over it could help with longevity.

Another way would be to cut a piece of FRP (plastic paneling) to cover low spot, glue in place with non-leveling sealant, then when it's cured finish edges with self leveling sealant.

Short of removing roof membrane in this area and leveling off substrate, this should channel water away from leak point.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:03 PM   #3

Another option is to set the rig nose high or nose low....doesn't have to be extreme. My TT's were NEVER level, I always pitched the door side slightly high and nose up slightly. That made the water from the AC always run to the rear non-door side and run off that corner and not where we were sitting or cooking or playing.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #4

I don't have a low spot but I redirected water away from my roof vent using J-molding. It's been on the trailer over 1 year and works well. Perhaps that could work for you in keeping water out of the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3250.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	264895  
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #5

A couple of ideas that I would consider:
1: Use rope with the eternabond that you have on order. Similar to what Tiguan Tow R showed in his picture. It is a method I used to direct A/C condensation. In your case, put the rope down around the vent, about 2" away from the maxair cover. (by around, I dont mean it has to go all the way around, just the a barrier on the trouble side). Then put the eternabond tape (I used 4" wide) over the rope. It creates a curb that the water isnt going to go over the top of.

2: You could use a self leveling sealer in that area. Clean it real good to get a nice bond, and then just put the sealer down where the water puddles. The sealer will "puddle" in the same spots, eliminating the low spot.

3: Remove the vent cover, and eternabond around the vent opening, then reinstall the vent cover.

4: Any combo of the above ideas, employing more than one tactic would give you extra protection. Though I feel like any of the ideas will rectify the issue.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:07 PM   #6

Thanks all. Lots of good ideas. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how this turns out this weekend.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:06 AM   #7

There is a rule for house roofing here in NM where we have lots of idiotic flat roofs. The rule is that if the water isn't gone in 24 hours, you need to fix it. I had a spot like that on my house roof. I used Great Stuff foam to fill it in, trimmed it with a sharp filet knife (or electric knife) to get the drainage I wanted, and then covered it with roofing material. In your case, I'd recommend the Eternabond as the roofing material.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #8

I agree with making a high spot to drain away the water. Also, don't doubt the water is getting between the roof layers as it's working its way in.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #9

Thanks MNoland and PhillyG.

I'm still debating the solution. Could be:
- A dam
- Raise low spot from above the roof.
- Raise low spot from under the roof while repairing and resealing the skylight.

Until I choose, I will follow the WolfPaq's suggestion to adjust the camper so the water rolls off while not in use.

The only good news about all this is that I have removed the inside portions of both the skylight and fan so I can see that there is no permanent damage yet.

Thanks again to all that have helped!

Tags
roo, roof