Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2024, 08:14 AM   #1

Membrane on Roof separated

Morning forum friends!

This is our first forest river and we have owned it for exactly a month over a year.

We have done our due diligence on seals and maintenance, and this last time the radio went out, the seal tek was done and the findings were a separated membrane on the roof. I have no clue to what this even means.

The dealership we brought it from wrote up a claim to submit to warranty, I feel it is 100% a manufacturing issue and not a "maintenance" issue and it 100% should not be coming out of my pocket to fix it.. Hopefully, the warranty will replace it, it should not have come undone after a year of ownership!

If Forest River declines the warranty and refuses to fix it, I am not sure what my next step should be, but so far, the staff have been pretty good about communication and resolving things. If Forest River does not do this warranty I am not going to be a happy camper (LOL Pun intended)
One year and already having a serious issue like this is not ok.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before?
I have never heard of it and my dad's older camper never had these issues. It was solid, but his was way too big to be hauling around.

I am just looking for more information to educate myself about this specific issue and what to learn, that way when it does get fixed, I know what to look for for a good quality job done and what to check for, what to look for, and I need to know how to inspect the work myself, to make sure it is not a shift make shitty job if that makes sense. Thanks in Advance!

( I did not buy it from Camping world but from Bish's RV)
We are not new to camping, but it is our 3rd RV, the first two were turned in due to huge huge manufacturing issues.. This is the camper we fell in love with and it fits everything from size, to our hauling aspects and storage. How this situation is handled will depend everything if we deal with Forest River again. So far, they have been good about stuff. That makes me happy. Just waiting on response for this issue.

2022 Surveyor Legend
Old 05-28-2024, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you the first owners or did you buy it used?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:36 PM   #3

I am the first owner of the camper and it sat on the dealers lot for almost a yr.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:52 PM   #4

You need to understand exactly what the Sealtech RV leak test found. Who did the test? They usually give you a diagram of exactly what they found and where. There are always small areas of the membrane that have separated or were never attached. Some can be problems, and others are fine.

Why did you have the Sealtech test done?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 07:02 PM   #5
Old guy having fun

I have a 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W. The roof carries a 12 year warranty (just ran out) so you might be OK if yours has the same coverage.
Old 05-28-2024, 07:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believer45 View Post
I have a 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W. The roof carries a 12 year warranty (just ran out) so you might be OK if yours has the same coverage.
Only the roof membrane has a 12 year warranty. It only covers factory defects in the material.
Doesn't include labor/installation.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 10:01 PM   #7

We had it done from the dealership because it was “recommended” ..

The front half of the roof was unattached and separated and there are videos and photos showing that.

My hubby thinks it’s a scam
Thing because he doesn’t feel things have to be air tight. Me, I did it because of the seals and for leakage. They did so find 10
Spots around the windows and where the outside hose was. Everything else was OK except for the membrane on the roof.

Unfortunately, our camper had a 1 yr warranty on things but a three year on the axels. I am not sure about this roof membrane but when I talked to FR it did not sound as if it was covered still. I need to pull the paperwork on it to check cause I would be OK to pay for the labor part if I had too.
jgirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirl57 View Post
We had it done from the dealership because it was “recommended” ..

The front half of the roof was unattached and separated and there are videos and photos showing that.

My hubby thinks it’s a scam
Thing because he doesn’t feel things have to be air tight. Me, I did it because of the seals and for leakage. They did so find 10
Spots around the windows and where the outside hose was. Everything else was OK except for the membrane on the roof.

Unfortunately, our camper had a 1 yr warranty on things but a three year on the axels. I am not sure about this roof membrane but when I talked to FR it did not sound as if it was covered still. I need to pull the paperwork on it to check cause I would be OK to pay for the labor part if I had too.
If you had no water intrusion problems, and only did the test on a dealer's recommendation, I would tend to agree with your husband.

The 'front half of the membrane being unattached' is a concern, but I would definitely get a second opinion, preferably from an independent RV service shop/mobile. And no, the membrane replacement probably will not be covered by any warranty unless the dealer can word the claim just right or be willing to eat the cost.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:26 AM   #9

That is what I am waiting for right now from FR to see if they would cover the membrane roof…
before the test we have no leakage at all and those small spots we will do ourselves and save some $$.

If the dealership does do the job, I just need know what to look for to show and prove that they did it right and not miss anything. This is out of my league for knowledge

I’m
jgirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof