Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
All I know is I put "No mice allowed" signs on all 4 corners and never once had a mouse problem!

I see where you went there...
Old 02-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Tried everything.

This stuff works! Spray it on with supplied undercoating gun.

It is Canadian too!

https://mouse-free.com
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twam911 View Post
I have a classic car that is been totally restored. It goes into storage for the winter. Mice love electrical wiring! I also have a TT. It is in a private campgrounds year round. We put Irish Spring soap shavings in the car and in the TT. Never seen a mouse dropping in them. I was in TT today and nothing. It also smells Irish Spring Fresh!!!
Glad it works for you but it sure doesn't work for me. The damn mice eat the soap.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:09 PM   #24

Best mouse solution so far: moved the trailer away from the house into the middle of the back yard. I think the wide expanse of open yard around the trailer is making easy meals out of mice for the local hawks, owls, and stray cat.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by twam911 View Post
I have a classic car that is been totally restored. It goes into storage for the winter. Mice love electrical wiring! I also have a TT. It is in a private campgrounds year round. We put Irish Spring soap shavings in the car and in the TT. Never seen a mouse dropping in them. I was in TT today and nothing. It also smells Irish Spring Fresh!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Glad it works for you but it sure doesn't work for me. The damn mice eat the soap.
Mice love Irish Spring...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have stray cats roaming my property. At first, I was a little unhappy, thinking they would be crapping all over. Now I'm so happy they are there, have not had a mouse problem in trailer yet, or my garage in years. I smile every time I see one hanging out over here.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Mice love Irish Spring...

It's funny how things that some folks swear by are the opposite for others.

I've seen this many times before where mice eat Irish Spring, make nests out of Bounce dryer sheets, tear open Fresh Cab pouches, go right through steel wool, ignore peppermint oil, etc.

I think it's one of those can't prove a negative things where If someone used dryer sheets and had no mice in several years, they swear it's the sheets, when it could have simply been no mice tried to get in.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #28
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'd say that presence of things like Irish Spring and the absence of mice does not prove these things WORK (I wear garlic to bed at night, and NEVER had a vampire problem, so the garlic must be working!). But I'd say evidence of mice consuming Irish Spring is pretty definite proof that it doesn't work, at least for whatever particular type of mouse was eating it.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I'd say that presence of things like Irish Spring and the absence of mice does not prove these things WORK (I wear garlic to bed at night, and NEVER had a vampire problem, so the garlic must be working!). But I'd say evidence of mice consuming Irish Spring is pretty definite proof that it doesn't work, at least for whatever particular type of mouse was eating it.
Maybe something other than mice eating the soap????? Do you see any "green" droppings anywhere??? Just "food" for thought.
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #30
Site Team

Use essential oil of peppermint ( not cooking peppermint). Put 2-3 cotton balls in an old glass or mug and add 4-5 drops to the cotton balls. Place two - three of these around the RV. You will need to replenish the peppermint about once a month. Do not get the oil on furniture as it will take the finish off. Mint is the effective ingredient in irish spring, the problem with the soap is the surface mint quickly dissipates and then it be comes useless.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Maybe something other than mice eating the soap????? Do you see any "green" droppings anywhere??? Just "food" for thought.
Until you can rule it out......
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Use essential oil of peppermint ( not cooking peppermint). Put 2-3 cotton balls in an old glass or mug and add 4-5 drops to the cotton balls. Place two - three of these around the RV. You will need to replenish the peppermint about once a month. Do not get the oil on furniture as it will take the finish off. Mint is the effective ingredient in irish spring, the problem with the soap is the surface mint quickly dissipates and then it be comes useless.
I actually tried pure peppermint oil, the expensive essential oil stuff and also some food grade oil for candy making on cotton balls in my shed. Guess where I found the cotton balls?..... In the battery compartment of my ATV. The freaking little thing used them for their nests within a couple weeks during winter.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 02-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Until you can rule it out......
Love that pic!
twam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #34

Quote:
I have stray cats roaming my property. At first, I was a little unhappy, thinking they would be crapping all over. Now I'm so happy they are there, have not had a mouse problem in trailer yet, or my garage in years. I smile every time I see one hanging out over here.
That is also my plan for spring! I am going to go the the local shelter and pick up about 10 of these cats! There are about 90 campers in 2 sites. I am going to get about half from each site to put out shelters for them and a little bit of food. Enough to keep them around but still remain hungry. My only hope is the coyotes dont get hungry and infiltrate the campground!
Old 02-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #35

Owls tend to be more effective than cats - and are not coyote prey. But owls will also feed off miniature dogs and small cats.

Weasels and ferrets are also very good at eliminating competing burrowing animals. But they do leave their own messes.

What I learned from living in the country for a few years.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #36

As mentioned in another post the only sure way to keep mice out is to make sure they have no way in period . other then that i would put the poison blocks down . used to be able to get decon in the little pellets which worked very well . the blocks they sell now not quite as good but they still work . I sealed my unit up the first week i had it and not one mouse in 5 yrs .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Owls tend to be more effective than cats - and are not coyote prey. But owls will also feed off miniature dogs and small cats.

Weasels and ferrets are also very good at eliminating competing burrowing animals. But they do leave their own messes.

Fred W

Are you suggesting I get owls as pets?!! LOL JK. The campsites are in a wooded area and we often hear them. I have never seen a weasel or ferret in the wild in Iowa just as pets.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:48 PM   #38

Quote:
But owls will also feed off miniature dogs and small cats. W
That’s a myth! A myth!

https://youtu.be/qzMfzPFcvJU
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #39

Quote:

Fred W

We had a weasel kill both our pet chickens a few years back. We were so mad, they tunneled under their coop fence and ripped the poor chickens heads off right in their coop at night.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 02-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #40

I have been using dryer sheets and moth balls for years and have had good luck. The moth balls are not the best smelling but the smell goes away when they are removed in the spring. I use some tv dinner pans and set a dryer sheet down and then put a couple of moth balls on top.

Tags
cover, trailer, travel, travel trailer, winter