Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
daydreaming about camping

micro cracks in camper roof

I posting this in the general section, as I think the roofing material is generic to most trailers. if not, please advise so I can repost in the pop-up section.

We have a 2010 Flagstaff HW 27 S/C. The roof began to leak, badly. I took it into the local Flagstaff dealer who showed me the roof has literally thousands of small (2-5mm in length) cracks. At first look these appear to be dirt in the pebbled texture finish of the roof. The dealer is unsure if the leaks are the cracks or the loose A/C unit or separating lap seal. The roof sheet is bubbled and pulling away from the sides.

Before I go any further, note this unit was purchased last year by us used, and is under no warranty.

The dealer was at a loss to explain what was happening. He stated the roof material is actually a sheet of fiberglass. At first he thought it was hail damage (in the midwest hail happens), but there is no indication of damage to any other part of the trailer, including the A/C cover, etc. He had no other possible explanation. His blunt advice was to trade the unit. Note - that dealer no longer carries pop-ups, they claim they are to expensive to service.

I am at a loss. I told them to go ahead and replace the lap seal and A/C seal. They feel confident that will fix the leaks, but have no ideas on what to do with the micro cracks in the roof. They claim there is no product that will adhere to the roof long term and seal those type cracks.

We would prefer to keep the camper as it is exactly what we wanted when we set out to buy a camper. But dont want to be stuck with a lemon.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Dallas Texas

How do you know if the "micro cracks" go all the way thru? If the fiberlgass sheet is pulling away from the sides that is another issue.

Might want to get a 2nd opinon.