Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

More Newby roofing questions

Hello,

Getting ready to inspect seals and roof for the 1st time and hoping for a little help.

According to my documentation, My Mini has Vinyl/Rubber composite roofing membrane.

1. So does that mean I am ok to use Dicor sealant like other rubber roofs?

2. Any tips on how and where to apply would be greatly appreciated, even if they seem obvious.

3. Should I get eternabond tape and put that over the sealant?

4. What tools are needed/preferred?

Thanks!

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Get a tall ladder and climb up on roof (It will support your weight). Use a board if you want to (I don't) and step clear of A/C, vents, skylight, etc.

Inspect all seams, gaskets, and any place that the roof material has been cut or drilled. Check closely around A/C, vents, antennas, sewer vent, and all side seams. (While you are up there, also look for any signs of bubbling in the membrane and any tears (damage from tree branches, etc)).

I use Dicor 501 Self Leveling or a similar Alpha product for sealing cracks in the existing caulk. Do not use silicone. You shouldn't have to remove the old caulk unless something is really wrong with it.

Eternabond is an excellent permanent solution. Its quite a project and worth considering.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
(While you are up there, also look for any signs of bubbling in the membrane and any tears (damage from tree branches, etc)).
What is recommended to be done with minor bubbles in the membrane?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
What is recommended to be done with minor bubbles in the membrane?
If he goes up there and finds bubbling, he should document it and take it into his dealer for inspection since he's under warranty (presumably).

Its an indicator to basically tell you to dig deeper. Is it normal? Did the glue let go? There are rubber roof repair kits for this kind of thing.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Never Leak RV Roofing

This is what to do, remove All dicor self leveling caulking around front back, roof vents, kitchen base and cap and plumbing vents, clean with acetone, use a 4" seam tape(tape-kote) then prime and coat with Safe-T-Plex acrylic elastomeric 20 year rv roof coating, 20 years of maintenance free roofing... If you have minor bubbling this means your dicor self leveling has Failed, you then need to take off the gutters on both sides and metal strip on either the front and back what ever is closer to the minor bubbling and any roof vents, plumbing vents ect, then peel back the rubber to the damaged area and replace to the nearest seam glue down new plywood then the rubber roofing usally separate glue 1 for plywood to foam insulation the 1 for plywood to rubber. then re-install every thing don't forget to use bytl tape on evert thing you removed then done.
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvroofer View Post
This is what to do, remove All dicor self leveling caulking around front back, roof vents, kitchen base and cap and plumbing vents, clean with acetone, use a 4" seam tape(tape-kote) then prime and coat with Safe-T-Plex acrylic elastomeric 20 year rv roof coating, 20 years of maintenance free roofing... If you have minor bubbling this means your dicor self leveling has Failed, you then need to take off the gutters on both sides and metal strip on either the front and back what ever is closer to the minor bubbling and any roof vents, plumbing vents ect, then peel back the rubber to the damaged area and replace to the nearest seam glue down new plywood then the rubber roofing usally separate glue 1 for plywood to foam insulation the 1 for plywood to rubber. then re-install every thing don't forget to use bytl tape on evert thing you removed then done.
WOW. Sounds pretty extreme when we don't even know the age, condition of the roof.

Commercial source of this stuff I have never heard of? SAfe T Plex???
Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Never Leak RV Roofing

Made by Brentwood Coatings its all we use here in Florida that with the 4" seam tape we give a 20 year warranty why put dicor self leveling caulking back on a roof when this is what causes all rv roof problems in the first place.
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #8

I have a 2014, new, should I have the dealership apply sealant? Or because its brand new, not to worry this year.

Its never been used and still has the factory anti freeze / winterization completed.

Back story is I purchased a new TT, but will store it at the dealership until April 2014.
Hellwig Sway Bar 7272
Equalizer Hitch system
Long Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #9

If it was done right you won't need to look at it for a year or two, except for checking for tree damage. In my case, they forgot to seal where the ladder attachments were so you should probably check that everything is done.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof