Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
It happens and I don't think it's a bad bubble. If the dealer isn't willing to fix it, then dave's procedure is what I would do. I wouldn't make a very big slit, and after the rubber has dried, I would put a piece of Eternabond tape over the slit.
I would just poke a small hole in the center of the bubble and work the air out and seal it with an Eternabond patch.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
It happens and I don't think it's a bad bubble. If the dealer isn't willing to fix it, then dave's procedure is what I would do. I wouldn't make a very big slit, and after the rubber has dried, I would put a piece of Eternabond tape over the slit.
You guys would really do that to a 3 month old unit ???
I guess if that is what you want to do,,, I think you can buy a hypo needle that would inject glue ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
You guys would really do that to a 3 month old unit ???
I guess if that is what you want to do,,, I think you can buy a hypo needle that would inject glue ???
I would certainly expect the dealer and FR repair the bubble. But it doesn't require replacement of the entire roof as some have said. If the dealer/FR doesn't step up, then yes, I would repair it as previously stated. The hypo is a good idea.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #24

they could repair one for me if, if, if, they would guaranty that in "that spot would never ever leak" other wise they would have to replace the whole thing for me to accept it, just sayin, they seem to get away with a lot, the roof should not be one of them
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Whatever the OP does, I surely hope he doesn't "poke a hole" or "cut a slit" in a his roof. That is simple the worse kind of advice. Don't put a hole in something that shouldn't have one. The bubble does not hurt anything, and will most likely go away. It's not broke, don't "fix" it.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Whatever the OP does, I surely hope he doesn't "poke a hole" or "cut a slit" in a his roof. That is simple the worse kind of advice. Don't put a hole in something that shouldn't have one. The bubble does not hurt anything, and will most likely go away. It's not broke, don't "fix" it.
, yeah really. Can't believe someone would even THINK about cutting into their roof membrane. That would definitely void the warranty, probably affect insurance coverage also.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #27

If you bought a new house and discovered a leak, let's say three months later, would you expect the builder to replace the entire roof?
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #28

Hi
I have been reading your last few posts on bubbles.
I assume this is a delamination issue.
I just sold my Chalet trailer just for that reason and I was wondering if this is an issue with the FR Aframe trailers too.
I am considering buying one.
Aframe-camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #29
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aframe-camper View Post
Hi
I have been reading your last few posts on bubbles.
I assume this is a delamination issue.
I just sold my Chalet trailer just for that reason and I was wondering if this is an issue with the FR Aframe trailers too.
I am considering buying one.
Different types of roof. The OP has a "rubber" roof that is glued to the substrate. They get small bubbles in them occasionally. Not the same thing as a fiberglass delamination.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #30

I actually would poke a needle size hole (use needle used to vaccinate horses) to draw out air and inject an appropriate glue into the area that has come loose. The hole would be about the size of a pen tip and afterwords, use some eternabond tape to seal it up and also seal that Dicor job on the vent..it is begging for eternabond.

Remarks to return it to factory or dealership are a little extreme. If you are not comfortable on putting a tiny hole in it to fix it, you can remove dicor next to the vent, remove vent, and inject glue into that area from the side and press out air towards vent so it seats flat.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #31

I have no idea how these rubber roofs are installed,,, but I know years ago there was a vinyl flooring material that when we installed it we only glued around the out side,,, the material would then shrink and become tight !!!
Remember if you cut our poke a hole in the rubber roof,,, You Own It !!!
Old 03-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #32
Site Team

Well it's been just about 2.5 months. I wonder what the OP ended up doing?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Well it's been just about 2.5 months. I wonder what the OP ended up doing?
Probably nothing. It probably warmed up where he was and it went away! Like they usually do.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #34
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
I have no idea how these rubber roofs are installed,,, but I know years ago there was a vinyl flooring material that when we installed it we only glued around the out side,,, the material would then shrink and become tight !!!
Remember if you cut our poke a hole in the rubber roof,,, You Own It !!!
Depending on the specific manufacturer's requirements and the materials being used there are two methods. One is to coat the substrate aka plywood on the trailer with adhesive and lay the roof material on it. Method two is to coat both the membrane backside and the trailer substrate with adhesive, allow it flash off then mate the two of them. I strongly suspect method one is what is used. I have redone the roofs on several trailers over the years using a better grade of membrane an adhesive, we use method two and I can promise you there weren't any bubbles when we got done and never will be. FWIW I am an industrial roofer by trade.

Aaron

Old 03-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Depending on the specific manufacturer's requirements and the materials being used there are two methods. One is to coat the substrate aka plywood on the trailer with adhesive and lay the roof material on it. Method two is to coat both the membrane backside and the trailer substrate with adhesive, allow it flash off then mate the two of them. I strongly suspect method one is what is used. I have redone the roofs on several trailers over the years using a better grade of membrane an adhesive, we use method two and I can promise you there weren't any bubbles when we got done and never will be. FWIW I am an industrial roofer by trade.

Aaron
You probably hit the nail on the head,,, with a better quality adhesive !!!
I used to know Many Many floorcovering installers that always bought the cheapest adhesive they could find !!!
Some of us learned the hard way,,, that spending a couple of bucks more was well worth the money !!!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #36
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
You probably hit the nail on the head,,, with a better quality adhesive !!!
I used to know Many Many floorcovering installers that always bought the cheapest adhesive they could find !!!
Some of us learned the hard way,,, that spending a couple of bucks more was well worth the money !!!
Quality of materials and quality of installation both go a long ways towards a better product. I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that the factory uses the cheapest, quickest method it can.

Aaron

Old 03-23-2016, 06:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I thought it was more than 7 years, whatever it is its essentially worthless if you read it. First it only covers labor for two years but only for replacing the membrane itself. They do not pay for labor required for any moldings, vents, antennas, or anything else nor any materials such as sealants for around those items, and that is what takes all the time from a labor perspective. After two years the membrane material warranty is prorated aggressively. What it all adds up to is the Alpha Systems roof warranty sucks.
Yep, FL is eat up with poor quality/ workmanship issues and the the lack of proper roof sealant application is the cause of bubbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aframe-camper View Post
Hi
I just sold my 2007 Chalet trailer.
Over the last few years I met numerous Chalet owners who are struggling to repair delamination of their roof panels.
I also experienced some delamination on my unit.
I love the Aframe concept, I got really good gas mileage pulling the It with my Tacoma.
I am considering buying a Rockwood Aframe and was wondering if there are also majors issues with delaminaion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Quality of materials and quality of installation both go a long ways towards a better product. I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that the factory uses the cheapest, quickest method it can.

Aaron

Tags
roo, roof