Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #1

Need advice on this bubble on my roof

Just found this during a routine inspection today. Trailer is just a little over 3 months old. What is the appropriate correction for the dealer/Rockwood to take? It's going in for other warranty repairs Monday.

Thanks!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	97107  
Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

I personally wouldn't worry about it much (i could only see the one pic that had the bubble by the vent.)
I think a lot of units have air pockets in the roofs, its just a lot of people don't get up there.
But since your under warranty, you can see what FR will do or say in this case. It might be more of an issue when the rubber gets crusty than when its still pliable.
Good luck!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #3

Thanks MillerTime, appreciate the feedback!

I sent an email with the picture to both the dealer I bought the trailer from and Jake Carter at Rockwood. I wanted to get this issue on record with both under the warranty period.

Quote:
It might be more of an issue when the rubber gets crusty than when its still pliable.
That's exactly what prompted my post. Not sure how hard I should push to resolve now or just document now and keep an eye on it.

Bob
Old 01-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #4

I agree with MT . non issue . mine had a few small bubbles . went from 500'elevation to 8000' and they grew slightly . on heading to sea level they disappeared all together .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Makes me wonder if there are issues yet to come in other spots. Will be interesting to see what FR says
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
Site Team

The rubber roof is glued to top of the RV. You can find a spot or two where the glue did not stick or is missing and as the temp changes it can cause a bubble. I would leave it unless it expands and many times the fix is worse than the symptom. What is the black line in front of the vent?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #7

I personally would not chance the bubble. It will get bigger when your out of warranty and then you pay for a new roof. Have the dealer and FR replace the roof now. It is a problem with the glue and rubber roof.
timpaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #8

Bubble

That is not a problem all rubber roofs have bubbles on them atleast the three I had with rubber roofs also the rubber roof is less of a problem than the fiberglass imho
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

It's nice to know that at least Rockwood is consistent in boogering up the sealant around the vent when they put the Maxxair covers on. I think the black line ahead of the vent is just sealant they slinged around with the gun. They do not try to be neat at all with the stuff. The 2016 I ordered and have yet to sign on the line for has some crappy sealant work, which is one of the reasons I don't "own" it yet.

The roof is not rubber. Its called Superflex distributed by a company named Alpha systems. They say its better than EPDM rubber or TPO. Who knows if it is. I emailed them (Alpha Systems) 3 times and asked if they had any long term test results for the product in regards to UV exposure or other long term reliability......they don't answer emails, or the phone.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #10
2014 XLR 27HFS

I wouldn't ignore it. If I saw this on my roof, this is what I would do... Use a turkey infuser to pump some glue into a few places in the bubble. Cut a slit at one end and flatten all the air out from the other end. Put a couple bricks on it till the glue dries.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #11

We have owned a number of units with bubbles on the roof. Flagstaff, Bullet by Keystone and R vision. The seemed to show up in the heat and disappear in the cooler temps. Never a long term issue, but |I do like the suggestion of filling the void with glue., makes great sense.

Brandon 2
2014 Sun seeker
2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #12

We had a Rubber roof on our old Flagstaff TT,,, Never had a bubble !!!
I would not touch it,,, but I sure would want FR to repair or replace it !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #13

Appreciate the feedback all. Since its under the 1st year warranty, *I'm* not touching it. I'm of the mind they need to repair or replace, but agree that there is the potential that the cure is worse than the problem.

If they want to slice the bubble, glue down, and then cover with a nice wide piece of tan Eternabond I'm probably OK with that, assuming Alpha is OK with that (7-year warranty on roof IIRC). Rather have the patch now than have it crack and get water damage later.

And yes, Mr. Havercamp, you called it correctly that the black line is just a large drool from the sealing of the MaxxAir vent. During the PDI I saw this and decided to let this one go, but I had the dealer do a bunch of resealing in other areas of the roof where the sealant had obvious bubbles in it.

I'll update this thread once I hear what Forest River is going to do about the bubble.

Bob
Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierBob View Post
assuming Alpha is OK with that (7-year warranty on roof IIRC). Rather have the patch now than have it crack and get water damage later.
I thought it was more than 7 years, whatever it is its essentially worthless if you read it. First it only covers labor for two years but only for replacing the membrane itself. They do not pay for labor required for any moldings, vents, antennas, or anything else nor any materials such as sealants for around those items, and that is what takes all the time from a labor perspective. After two years the membrane material warranty is prorated aggressively. What it all adds up to is the Alpha Systems roof warranty sucks.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #15
Never Leak RV Roofing

Bubble on roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierBob View Post
Just found this during a routine inspection today. Trailer is just a little over 3 months old. What is the appropriate correction for the dealer/Rockwood to take? It's going in for other warranty repairs Monday.

Thanks!

Bob
What i see is lap sealant over lap sealant, my guess covering a crack that let water in to cause the glue to give,
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #16

I would want the unit returned to the factory and the roof be replace !!!
On a 3 mouth old unit,,, you should not have to settle for a patch job !!!
Good Luck !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Large bubble--------

I had a large bubble on my roof when the 5th wheel was new, contacted Forest River about it, they said do not worry that they have it documented with pictures. It finally disappeared after about 10 months. I guess it took that long for the air to work its way out from under the bubble.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #18

Roof panel delamination

Hi
I just sold my 2007 Chalet trailer.
Over the last few years I met numerous Chalet owners who are struggling to repair delamination of their roof panels.
I also experienced some delamination on my unit.
I love the Aframe concept, I got really good gas mileage pulling the It with my Tacoma.
I am considering buying a Rockwood Aframe and was wondering if there are also majors issues with delaminaion.
Aframe-camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #19
World Wide Wanderer

Industrial roofer by trade...

I would be surprised if FR does anything about it. That is not excessive. It may go away as the roof thermal cycles. I don't know what Alpha Systems is, but it feels to me like a single layer TPO. I don't care what you buy, the warranty is written to protect the manufacturer NOT the consumer. I have a couple of similar ones on my new Concord. I have them duly documented and will keep and eye on them, but don't expect them to cause issues. Sometimes trying to fix something minor like that can lead to bigger issues.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
I wouldn't ignore it. If I saw this on my roof, this is what I would do... Use a turkey infuser to pump some glue into a few places in the bubble. Cut a slit at one end and flatten all the air out from the other end. Put a couple bricks on it till the glue dries.
It happens and I don't think it's a bad bubble. If the dealer isn't willing to fix it, then dave's procedure is what I would do. I wouldn't make a very big slit, and after the rubber has dried, I would put a piece of Eternabond tape over the slit.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof