Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Plano, TX

Need help finding cracked trim

On the highest point of the sides of my TT where it meets the roof, there is a long metal channel that goes the length of the trailer with screws in it. There is a plastic (or rubber?) "trim" piece that slides into the channel to cover the screws. After less than 3 years most of it is split/cracked and a section of it has completely come out of the channel. Does anyone know what this is called or where to get it? I called my local Camping World but they had no idea what I was talking about.
Ale_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #2

pictures are worth a thousand words
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

you need this. https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCEA&adurl=
Old 03-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifshowfur View Post
That's it!! Thanks! My follow-up question is do I need to keep the rain off my camper until this is replaced? I have no idea how long it's been damaged, I just noticed it the other day. Is this more decorative to cover the screws or does it actually help with keeping the water out?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Just my guess. It helps to keep water off the screws, but is not truly waterproof. I am thinking it is more decorative. Maybe a year after getting my 5’r, I was doing a good look at everything before a long trip. I noticed my trim bulging in many places. Opened the trim to reveal many screws that were either not tightened correctly or had loosened and backed out a bit. I took those out, added a dab of sealant into the hole and on the threads and ran them back in. Now, it is part of my checklist to inspect. 3 years later, no more have loosened. I am thinking, they never were all the way in. However, I saw some of the exposed threads had some rust on them, but no signs of water intrusion beyond the exposed portion. When I put the screws back in, I noticed they were harder to screw in beyond the exposed portions, so I am thinking they never were all the way in.

I will add, my rig seldom sees rain, as I am in AZ, and it lives under a big solar structure, so no rain when home. However, it sees rain when camping, as it seems to be a rain magnet!!!!!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Plano, TX

That's a great idea. Might as well do it while the trim is off. I did notice a few of the newly exposed screws appeared to not be screwed in 100% of the way. You're probably right though...they were never fully in to begin with from the factory. No surprise there!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Heavy-Duty Insert

If it is more convenient for you to use camping world and you are happy with them. It is called Heavy-Duty Insert on their website. By the way any dealer who repairs RVs should have this in stock.
campbuzz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer View Post
On the highest point of the sides of my TT where it meets the roof, there is a long metal channel that goes the length of the trailer with screws in it. There is a plastic (or rubber?) "trim" piece that slides into the channel to cover the screws. After less than 3 years most of it is split/cracked and a section of it has completely come out of the channel. Does anyone know what this is called or where to get it? I called my local Camping World but they had no idea what I was talking about.
Trim insert can get it on amazon 1 " is standard and comes in a few colors
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

HINT !!! DO NOT stretch it as you install it. If possible, keep the ends long...past the metal trim you put it in. The vinyl does have a tendency to shrink over time and the ends will shrink and expose those screws on the ends first. When I replaced mine on an older trailer, I'd start at one end and as I was pushing the vinyl into the channel, I'd put a little pressure towards the vinyl I've already inserted. If I made that clear ??
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #10

Okay to leave it off

Quote:
That's it!! Thanks! My follow-up question is do I need to keep the rain off my camper until this is replaced? I have no idea how long it's been damaged, I just noticed it the other day. Is this more decorative to cover the screws or does it actually help with keeping the water out?
The metal part is called the "rain gutter." Between the rain gutter and the trailer is a kind of gummy caulk called "butyl tape." The actual stackup from outside in is rain gutter, butyl tape, roof membrane, trailer siding, and 1"x2"pine stringer. The stringer goes across the ends of all the roof trusses.

The butyl tape is such a good sealant that the vinyl insert is not needed for weatherproofing. It mostly serves to hide all those screws.

By the way, the insert is cheaper on eBay and comes in lots of colors. Knock yourself out!

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Trim insert can get it on amazon 1 " is standard and comes in a few colors
^^^^^^^ This, Measure carefully because there are different widths. I didn't so I had to order a second time. I chose to place a dab of Dicor non-sag on top of all screws when replacing trim as an additional protection.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #12
Plano, TX

I ended up ordering some off Amazon. It's not here yet so I'm not sure of the quality, but it was pretty cheap (compared to most RV related things). I took the old stuff off to measure because I heard there were multiple sizes and Amazon listed 3/4" and 1". Mine measured 7/8" I went with the 1" so we'll see! My "trim" is black and the ends were caulked in. Is that just regular black caulk or do I need a special expensive RV sealant?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
I ended up ordering some off Amazon. It's not here yet so I'm not sure of the quality, but it was pretty cheap (compared to most RV related things). I took the old stuff off to measure because I heard there were multiple sizes and Amazon listed 3/4" and 1". Mine measured 7/8" I went with the 1" so we'll see! My "trim" is black and the ends were caulked in. Is that just regular black caulk or do I need a special expensive RV sealant?
Sikaflex in black will work good . you can get that onn amazon also . the 1" is correct . very easy install
Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #14

1" is right

Quote:
Yes, you want the 1" for the 7/8" channel so it will bulge outward enough to clear the screw heads.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #15
Plano, TX

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I got and it worked out very well. Did the swap this weekend. Which Sikaflex do I need? I searched on Amazon but there were a ton of different numbers. One (715) said it was for RVs but it also said it was for RV roofs and it was "semi self-leveling". I would imagine that would not be desirable for a vertical side application?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #16

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I got and it worked out very well. Did the swap this weekend. Which Sikaflex do I need? I searched on Amazon but there were a ton of different numbers. One (715) said it was for RVs but it also said it was for RV roofs and it was "semi self-leveling". I would imagine that would not be desirable for a vertical side application?
I use the 221 good for all around
Old 03-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #17
Plano, TX

Thanks for all the help guys! Got me a 100 ft. roll and some Sikaflex 221 and got er dun!!

Tags
crack